??? About water lillies ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rip Fantom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need to repot my water lillies into larger containers. Can anyone tell me what type or size should be used? Does it matter?

Also, do I have to use the clay potting medium sold at pond stores or is there a cheaper alternative? That stuff is expensive and comes in small bags.

Thanks a million.
-Ripley :D

I use heavy clay topsoil, dug outta my garden. a couple fert tabs, and I have leaves and blooms all summer! I keep my lillies in 3 gallon aquaplant pots I bought several years ago. big black plastic pots, no holes in them. Bought at a local pond place, I think they still carry them. Sorry, I have no brand name for them.

You dont HAVE to re-pot into bigger, you could just cut in half and get another plant out of it if you want (or throw the other 1/2 away)

I use cheap kitty litter (clay)

I dont fertilize, and when I used to there is no differance. I dont have holes in my posts, and dont put rocks on top (clay generally doesnt float around as much and the fish dont bother it)

corvuscorax said:
I use heavy clay topsoil, dug outta my garden. a couple fert tabs, and I have leaves and blooms all summer!

I have no idea Zac, where you get your information from, but as Corvus also wrote, I, along with all of my customers, get EXCELLENT results from fertilizing. You must not be doing them right.

Nope I have done them right, and get 00000 results. OTher people fertilize around here and STILL dont get as good as lilies as I do.

Well then you must be doing them wrong. Because they wouldnt sell it unless it worked.. and believe you me.. it works.

I will photograph my results mid-may and show you what I mean.

I can guarantee they will outperform yours.

Maybe it works for you...

Doesnt work for me? Want me to show you before and after of mine? It would be useless because they will look the same.

Im done with this thread.

I will show you before and after pictures in about a month.. once things get growing well...

weather is still cool here

How about we agree to disagree, and all just show up with our lilly pics this summer? We can even make it a sticky or a contest if you would like.

Back
Top Bottom