Above ground pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betta4me

Aquarium Advice Activist
Good Afternoon! I’m thinking about building a small 150 – 200 gallon above ground pond this spring.
I wanted to get those experienced with ponds to let me know if a kit like this one is a good idea for my first pond?
Pond Supplies from PONDMARKET: Read Customer Product Reviews for Product 1116
Are there better out there? Will I need more for maintenance, a better filter, add a UV sterilizer, etc..? I live in the Phoenix area, what concerns should I have when it hits tripple digits? Is there anything I could do to keep the water cooler? Are there any really good website involving building an above ground pond?

Thanks in advace, as always, I appreciate your input and advise.

That seems a bit small for a pond (especially somewhere as hot as Az). I would suggest going as big as possible with your first try, because I can guarantee you will want to go bigger the second it is in the ground (my pond has had three expansions so far). If you go cheap the first time, you will kick yourself for it.

I would suggest getting a pond liner and digging down at least 3' for your deepest point to give the fish a good place to hide. This will also help keep your temps a bit more stable.

A quick search online and I came up with www.pondsupply.com . These guys are the pond division for Little Giant (great pumps). For $307 ($355 shipped) you could get a nice sized liner, a descent pump and mechanical filter, a spitter (essentially an oulet for the pump), tubing, and a net:

Firestone Pond Liner 10ft. x 15ft. Boxed DPS144P-FSBL1 15 $99.95
LITTLE GIANT FB-PW DPS104P-LIT566102 $34.95
LITTLE GIANT PE-2F-PW DPS104P-LIT566632 $77.99
Pond Spitter - Frog DPS104P-BECTF203 $27.95
Easy Pro 1/2" Black Vinyl Tubing - 100' Roll EPX104P-BVT500 $34.95
Pond Net w/ Removable Handle - 1/4in. mesh DPS104P-NYCC03 $31.95

I wouldn't worry about the other stuff in the kit that I havn't listed. Dechlor is stupid for a pond, Chlorine is destroyed pretty quickly in the sun. The microbe lift is nice, but not essential ($24).

Last edited:
So I just reread the original post and noticed that you wanted something above ground and not in ground like I suggested. Anything above ground will heat up to air temp fairly quickly, so I don't know how feasible that would be when it gets really hot out.

Thank you for detailed information!! Yea, I really didn't want to dig, but you're talking me in to it.
I seen this pond here, http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f13/spring-time-pond-pic-cant-wait-for-good-weather-102700.html and thought it was really nice, I would want something on a smaller scale, but I'm wondering with the dirt/sand in between the brick work and pool liner if that would lend some insulation. Also, I didn't mention that this would be in a mostly shaded area of my yard and I have about a 10x12 area to work with.

Back
Top Bottom