algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you tried to find the source of the algae? Lighting schedule, over feeding, weekly water changes. I just don't like putting chemicals in my aquarium. I would try to find the source of it first.

Shade also comes from walls or overlying roofs, shade also comes from floating aquatic plants which will help soooo much. Appropiate filtration and plants floating or submerged will also suck up those nitrogen products. I agree that you should try that before adding any chemicals. What I would also try before adding chemicals is a UV unit which kills floating algae (green water) and do not harm beneficial bacteria which reside on surfaces. My water went so green I couldnt see the fish (with appropiate filtration and feeding), I added a 50% shade through a variety of floating plants and water cleared within a week and a half. Hope this helps, good luck.

andresdeo said:
Shade also comes from walls or overlying roofs, shade also comes from floating aquatic plants which will help soooo much. Appropiate filtration and plants floating or submerged will also suck up those nitrogen products. I agree that you should try that before adding any chemicals. What I would also try before adding chemicals is a UV unit which kills floating algae (green water) and do not harm beneficial bacteria which reside on surfaces. My water went so green I couldnt see the fish (with appropiate filtration and feeding), I added a 50% shade through a variety of floating plants and water cleared within a week and a half. Hope this helps, good luck.

I have a uv
Water is crystal clear
I have probably around 25 plants 23 of them are lily pads
Water tests great
What else is there other than chemicals and elbow grease ?

It's the long stringy green stuff that's growing off of plants and waterfalls and edges of pond rocks etc. When I go outside ill take a pic and post it

Algea

I have tried the algea chemical in my 750 gal pond with good results.
If you have fish, you have to make sure they have lots of constant aeration because the decaying algea will use up oxygen in the water.
I have also seen little barley bales that you float in the water that help prevent algea growth for months at at time. I haven't tried it yet, but I intend to.
Tim

tfsimmons said:
I have tried the algea chemical in my 750 gal pond with good results.
If you have fish, you have to make sure they have lots of constant aeration because the decaying algea will use up oxygen in the water.
I have also seen little barley bales that you float in the water that help prevent algea growth for months at at time. I haven't tried it yet, but I intend to.
Tim

I heard the barley really doesn't do much. I haven't done anything to it but its got better. My lily pads and stuff are growing at an extreme rate

Barley straw does work.. You just have to be consistent with it (we use the barley extract) and you just pour it in..ever week. It will never hurt the fish. Also adding floating pond plants and lilies will use up nutrients that allow the algae to grow.

I was just reading about this from a koi association. I'm working on trying to reduce the nutrients with filtration. I was thinking about trying it as a filter pad. This is something I will try. I'm going to go look for some in the morning. I think a lot of aquarium people if they read about and only see decaying plant matter.

You wouldn't happen to know what chemical it releases do you?
I thought it was similar to H2O2.

That algae wot hurt your pond other than using up oxygen. I have an 850 gallo pond and have about 40 trapdoor snails in it. Also, If I want the string algae to be gone I just stop feeding my fish for a while and they will eat it.

I had string algae.
Flagfish did the trick. If you live in the south give them a try.

I bought a male and two females and caught a couple.
In a few weeks they got all the string algae and produced lots of babies.

They are quite entertaining each male makes a territory and chases all the other fish away.

Thanks all
I planted some tall plants around it to give it some shade and that fixed it. :) so case closed on to the next thing lol

Back
Top Bottom