Algae eaters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ricco34

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any algae eaters that can live in a cold water goldfish tank? The guy at petco said cae could live in the colder water but he forgot to tell me it'd start eating my goldfish

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh No!!! I was thinking about adding Cory's, but read that they will attach to the goldfish and suck the Slime Coat off and cause soars.... So Sorry!!! I would try to Return the Algae Eater!

Now, a Golden Dojo Loach made Great Friends with my Comet Goldfish (Shubunkin)... Not sure if they go well with Fancy Goldfish though.

What kind of Goldfish do you have?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Have you consider the hong kong pleco? Im not 100% if they can live with goldfish because i know they like flowing water.

Have you consider the hong kong pleco? Im not 100% if they can live with goldfish because i know they like flowing water.

Oh Yeah... That is the Chinese Hillstream Loach!!! They are Really Cool!!! I have a decent flow in my tank... I will read more on them.

Yeah thats right, worth some looking into i think!

Any algae eaters that can live in a cold water goldfish tank? The guy at petco said cae could live in the colder water but he forgot to tell me it'd start eating my goldfish

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Now hold up just a second, lets understand why these catfish suck the slime coating off of the other fish. The simple explanation is that the catfish needs more varied foods, maybe some proteins, and the fish that are attacked should be perfectly healthy so even if the catfish were to attack it, the fish could fend it off (even the placid goldfish can do that). Ive kept some of the more voracious and moody cats with almost every common fish in the pet trade (and even axolotls) and never once have I seen a catfish attack any of my fish.

Now hold up just a second, lets understand why these catfish suck the slime coating off of the other fish. The simple explanation is that the catfish needs more varied foods, maybe some proteins, and the fish that are attacked should be perfectly healthy so even if the catfish were to attack it, the fish could fend it off (even the placid goldfish can do that). Ive kept some of the more voracious and moody cats with almost every common fish in the pet trade (and even axolotls) and never once have I seen a catfish attack any of my fish.

CAE are not cat fish. CAE are a sucking loach. CAE will attack and kill fish. Plecos, cories, and SAE will not.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

CAE are not cat fish. CAE are a sucking loach. CAE will attack and kill fish. Plecos, cories, and SAE will not.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

CAE, if given enough space and protein, have always left my fish alone. Though, the effort to keep them placid is rather unethical when you can just get a pleco or SAE.

Please dont get a hongkong plec aka a hillstream loach they need prinstine water conditions and fast moving water ie you would need a powerhead and this might bump your goldfish all over the place in the tank. Also a Goldfish has to high a bioload so not an ideal companion with goldfish. I personally dont think hillstream loach should be sold as pets as they are not breed as pets but taken out of the wild. Many do not survive in capcity and the ones that do are often found in species only tanks.

Please dont get a hongkong plec aka a hillstream loach they need prinstine water conditions and fast moving water ie you would need a powerhead and this might bump your goldfish all over the place in the tank. Also a Goldfish has to high a bioload so not an ideal companion with goldfish. I personally dont think hillstream loach should be sold as pets as they are not breed as pets but taken out of the wild. Many do not survive in capcity and the ones that do are often found in species only tanks.

Though if you are skilled enough to make a mountain stream aquarium you should go for it because those fish are amazingly beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom