Am I Under Feeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaffooJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello! I haven't really had any questions as my tank has been well for a while, but lately I noticed the fish seemed a lot more hungry. I have a blackmoor, Ryukin, and a baby lion head who is just starting wen growth. I have not changed their diet of pellets, blood worms, and occasionally peas. I just seems every time I'm near they all go to the top begging for food. Sure this happened before, but not all of them would be at the top like that, mostly just my blackmoor. I have an air pump and the filter also make bubbles, so whats going on? Are they just at their growth spurt? Should I feed them more? Any answers would be very appreciated :fish2: :thanks:

Edit: Sorry, forgot to say, I feed them twice a day, once in the morning around 9am, and once in the evening around 10:00pm

They're pigs! They always want food! Don't fall for the antics, one. 30 second feeding a day is plenty! My fish beg too, it's tough to resist but not worth health and water issues.

Hahaha, alright. Thanks for the answers. It's just so hard to resist the bubbly eyes of my blackmoor!

Are they steadily growing each month? Is it possible to add another meal at some point in the day and more veggies?

What a fish may eat in 30 seconds does not apply to slow, visually impaired fancies. Realistically, your looking at 2-5 minutes or more. Veggies should be left for snacking without a time limit. If you have a scale, you can weigh your fish in order to accurately figure out the amount of food to feed. :)

It is about quantity AND frequency. At twenty degrees celcius, they are capable of eating 2- 4% of their bodyweight per day and this amount should be fed over a 12 to 14 hour period, so little and often. This will give optimum growth. Feeding over a long period prevents sudden rises in ammonia associated with infrequent feeding.

Remember though, your filter will.need to be sufficiently capable of dealing with waste produced through correct feeding. Most fish keepers underfeed their fish in my opinion.

It is about quantity AND frequency. At twenty degrees celcius, they are capable of eating 2- 4% of their bodyweight per day and this amount should be fed over a 12 to 14 hour period, so little and often. This will give optimum growth. Feeding over a long period prevents sudden rises in ammonia associated with infrequent feeding.

Remember though, your filter will.need to be sufficiently capable of dealing with waste produced through correct feeding. Most fish keepers underfeed their fish in my opinion.

I am in complete agreement with this and do honestly believe most people under feed their fish.

The only issue is what people are realistically able to manage with their schedules. Feeding multiple small meals spread out over the course of a day is not practical or even possible for most hobbyists even though it may be the best thing for our aquatic creatures. Work, family, sleep and life tend to supersede the commitment necessary to follow such a routine. A couple of smaller meals a day is a step in the right direction. ;)

You have hit the problem on the head there jlk. I would suggest most people could do a couple of small feeds in the morning if they have around an hour before leaving for work. Then when they get home, fit in a small feed each hour if possible before bed time.

You have hit the problem on the head there jlk. I would suggest most people could do a couple of small feeds in the morning if they have around an hour before leaving for work. Then when they get home, fit in a small feed each hour if possible before bed time.

I have never thought of doing that - I might give it a try :)

Back
Top Bottom