Amourous black moors. What to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a baby MALE Black Moor (3inches nearly a year old), an adult Male Black Moor (6inches approx 1-2yrs old) in with a FEMALE Calico Fantail (4inches 1yr old). The adult male is newly adopted as a friend couldnt keep him any longer. They are in a 42 gallon tank and i intend to upgrade to at least a 65gallon. The problem is since the new adopted fish has been in the tank he has taken abit of a shine to my female Calico fantail. He would only occasionally chase her. But i have now noticed that the baby blackmoor has developed the white tubercles on his front fins and he is now getting in on the act and chasing her too. So she has two male admirers on her back. How do i solve this problem if i upgraded sooner and tried to get another female goldfish would that help? i am thinking a new female might take the pressure of the Calico Fantail. She doesnt seem destressed by it as she just carries on sniffing and digging in the gravel after abit of a chase she behaves normally eats very well and doesnt hide, but im worried they might cause her damage if they push her about too much. I know this is spawning behaviour to get her to release eggs but is she even mature enough at just 1yr old approx she may be slight under its a guess as she is slightly bigger than my little black moor i have estimated she is a few months older i got the two in dec last year

Just keep an eye on everyone for now. Males can get very aggressive, even to the point of seriously injuring or killing a female in their amorous attempts. If you notice your female getting overly stressed or being injured, you will need to separate her from the boys so she can take a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom