Any special care of itty bitty goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shana0310

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently purchased a really small calico fantail 1-1/2" not counting the tail . I have him in my 30 gallon with another fantail - approx 3" long that I thought was small til I found this one. I had the baby in a 5 gallon QT tank for several days and he was doing so well I thought I'd add him to his new home. Since then he seems overwhelmed. I find him very often on the bottom just hanging out. He does perk up when I come into the room but otherwise he stays in the same place. He's only been in there 3 days and I haven't seen the other fish bothering him.

Do you think he's stressed being in such a large tank? Should I put him back into the 5 gal until he's got a little more size?

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'd leave him in the big tank. Use silk or real plants or rounded stones for hiding areas.

Goldfish kill themselves in small tanks too easily from Ammonia.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You should also add an air stone, so he doesn't have to go up for air that often. ?

I can't wait to see a picture of the little fella.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

You should also add an air stone, so he doesn't have to go up for air that often. ?

I can't wait to see a picture of the little fella.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Goldfish do not go up for air?

Air stones are mainly just for decor. If you have good filtration to create surface agitation these no reason to have one other than personal interest. Only exception is in planted tanks people like myself use air stones to diffuse leftover co2 in the water after the lights cut off.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Last edited:
An air stone in itself is not introducing oxygen into the water. The agitation at the surface that the air stone causes produces saturation of oxygen into the water.

Goldfish require a high saturation of oxygen in their water. Your bitty guy won't require nearly as much as a big one, especially if he is the only tank occupant. There is never such a thing as too much water movement for oxygenation unless it affects the tanks occupants movements. They shouldn't have to fight a current.

A fish constantly gasping at the surface means there is not enough oxygen saturation. There is a difference between a fish that is begging at the surface for food and one that spends the majority of its' time at the surface. A healthy level of oxygen saturation in the tank means the goldfish can practice their natural behaviour of picking at the pebbles and vegetation at the bottom of the tank searching for food.

My 120 gallon tank with 3 large Orandas and a Telescope (sorry JLK, 2 too many) has two large air pumps running 6 airstones. I have fallen in love with
self weighted pond air stones that come in a small and large size. They only require a soak in vinegar every 6 months or so to clear debris and back to working. I have never noticed a dimenishment in output before a clense. If there is a heavy surface algae accumulation, I just go ahead and clean.
I am not an expert. Look to the moderators for the most experienced and informed advice. Good luck with Itty Bitty.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have noticed that a new tank occupant may be a bit timid at first. Staying where he is, I agree is ideal unless he shows signs of illness. I also agree that providing decor or plants for hiding/private places is the best strategy. Just like people, they need to discover their place in the hierarchy as it was once another fishes abode.

Fortunately, I have never paired fish that didn't get along. All of mine are laid back and enjoy the community experience.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom