Are algea wafers designed for plecos good for goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chub Keeper

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I gave my 3 gold fish 1 black Moore, 1 calico ryukin, and 1 sassaras comet (which will soon be rehomed due to competition issues) 1 algea wafer just to see if they would like it and they absolutely loved it. I thought that it would be a good way to supply them with the proper amount of algea they need in their diet though, is there anything bad that can result from the Pleco algea wafers? Also all the fish are under 3 inches and are in a 55 gallon long aquarium.

I gave my 3 gold fish 1 black Moore, 1 calico ryukin, and 1 sassaras comet (which will soon be rehomed due to competition issues) 1 algea wafer just to see if they would like it and they absolutely loved it. I thought that it would be a good way to supply them with the proper amount of algea they need in their diet though, is there anything bad that can result from the Pleco algea wafers? Also all the fish are under 3 inches and are in a 55 gallon long aquarium.

If they like them then excellent. I drop algae wafers in my tropical community tank and its not just the plecos that eat them. Everyone has a go. I've not tried with my golds but I may have a go and see what they make of it.

My comet loves the NLS H2O wafers- he kept trying to eat them whole when I fed them to the pleco, so now I break one up for him too :)

Your good. I use omega one veggi disks and I always have to throw a couple in or my plecos won't get them because the fish love them. Also omega one make a veggi pellet which might be good for them to so its not as big as the wafer.

I don't have a Pleco in the tank so I think I'll just get a decent sized bag of algea wafers and put like 1 or 2 in their tank every one to three days as a algea supplement in their diet. The goldfish and Cory's don't eat them super fast more like a constant pecking at them so they last a little while.

I don't have a Pleco in the tank so I think I'll just get a decent sized bag of algea wafers and put like 1 or 2 in their tank every one to three days as a algea supplement in their diet. The goldfish and Cory's don't eat them super fast more like a constant pecking at them so they last a little while.

I was just suggesting the veggie pellets for your gold fish so they don't have to peck at the wafer. Wafers can cause cloudiness if they are left uneaten. And after a hr or so they get all soggy.

Actually when I put the algea wafer in my tank all they kept on doing was pecking at it. Though I think in addition to the staple fish flake diet and algea wafers I'm going to give them spinach as a green supplement though what is the best fresh green to give to a goldfish?

Goldfish eat and enjoy all kinds of vegetables (blanched so they can eat them).

Spinach, green peas, dark leafy lettuces (not iceberg), broccoli, zucchini, carrots, kale. I'm sure there are others and other posters will chime in with what their fish like. Mine will start in on the zucchini before I can get it down to the bottom of the pond (I sink it on a stainless steel skewer).

My goldfish also enjoy oranges and bananas.

What do you mean by bleached like boiled?

Blanched, placed in boiling water for about 3-4 minutes (depending on the thickness of the cut of the vegetable) then rapidly cooled to prevent cooking it.

I use a half dozen zucchini a week, cut into spears, blanched and then individually frozen on a cookie sheet, then placed in my freezer container. When I want to feed them, I take out about 1/2 dozen spears, pour boiling water over them to defrost them, drain and weight them down by spearing them on a stainless steel shish kebob skewer. The fish tear them up - skin and all - in about 2-3 hours.

For green peas and spinach, I use frozen and just pour a little boiling water over the peas or spinach to defrost, then with the peas, squish them out of the skin before feeding.

Spinach tends to have a real laxative effect, so I do not feed it every day. It is very helpful for a fish that needs some assistance in moving a sluggish system along.

Fruits I feed raw. For oranges, I wash the rind and quarter, removing the triangle ends of rind so the fish can get to the pulp easily. Bananas I just slice length wise, remove the peel and feed halves.

When my goldfish were in an aquarium, I only fed fruit on water change days due to the high sugar content. Now that they are in the pond, I feed fruit a little more frequently, and have not noticed any effect on water quality.

I feed veggies and fruits in the morning. Any remaining food is removed the next morning.

Yea I'm definetly going to start feeding vegetables and fruit to them, I just needed to know how to prepare the good right. Thanks

I've always been wondering this too.

Back
Top Bottom