Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-19-2017, 09:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question Are goldfish happier with company

I am a new goldfish owner and trying to get him in the proper sized tank without breaking the bank. I acquired this goldfish after taking my nephew to the fair and he lived through 4 months of a VERY small box plastic tank we purchased from the fair. He is now in 7.5 gallons but I have done my research and know he needs at least 20. I can't get the ammonia levels down. I have been looking New and used. Should I just get a 20 gallon with starter kit that have filter and all or should I go bigger (used) buy the filter and air pump and get him a friend? I think it's a he (Seymour)

Old 09-19-2017, 10:41 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

20g is to small, honestly goldfish need ponds

Why fancy goldfish require big tanks- visual perspective

Old 09-26-2017, 12:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Simplest solution would be a 55. It will make life easier. Goldfish are certainly happier with friends, but when they grow up to 7-10" it takes a lot to maintain good water with them in smaller tanks. I've seen goldfish live in a tiny tank (several pints of water) for years. Little feed, regular water changes. Stunted fish, but living. They are very very hardy.

Tags
app, fish, gold, goldfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com