Are killies and endlers compatible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NatureFish

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have an unheated 10 gallon tank with two lyretail Killies (one male and one female). They aren't breeding as much as I had hoped so I was thinking about mixing them with fish that reproduce rapidly. What better fast cold water fry makers than Endlers?! Would the Endlers and Killies be ok together? Both my Killies are docile and do not pick on each other so I think they'd be ok. Correct me if I'm wrong. On a side note how many Endlers would be ok in a ten gallon with two killies and a Whisper Tetra 10 gallon internal filter (and a low powered sponge filter)? Hopefully I can do this! I've never had Endlers but I'm sure they are not any harder than the Killies. Thanks and have a great day! :)

NatureFish
????

Spoke too soon...killies are spawning again! However it wasn't a successful spawn...no eggs. The male wrapped himself around her but no eggs!!! :(

NatureFish
????

I think the killies would kill the endlers. but that's my opinion based on what my fish were like. Have you thought of mosquito fish?

I think the killies would kill the endlers. but that's my opinion based on what my fish were like. Have you thought of mosquito fish?

Misquito fish might be too big for this tank. Like I said there's not very powerful filtration and I already have two fish in there. Guppies maybe? It has to be something that will be ok without a heater and something that will be ok when I turn everything off at night (I turn the filters and lights off at night and my killies are always fine in the morning so I don't think any hardy livebearers are going to have a problem with it either). Whatever you guys can come up with it must be a livebearer. Eggs are such a hassle! I've learned that the hard way...
I was thinking platys might work but once again compatibility is the main factor.

NatureFish
????

yea, exactly, mosquito fish haha. 2 females and 3 males will be fine in a 10 gallon and they will pretty much endure everything

yea, exactly, mosquito fish haha. 2 females and 3 males will be fine in a 10 gallon and they will pretty much endure everything

Will my killies eat mosquito fish? :(
How fast do they reproduce? So I'm guessing Endlers are a no, correct? :(
I wanted Endlers :(

NatureFish
????

If there aren't any suitable tank mates does anyone have advice on how to actually get a proper spawn out of this pair?

NatureFish
????

Why do you turn the internal filter off at night? Is the sponge filter air powered? I assume that is being turned off as well?
While that will probably be okay, I don't think it is conducive for a stable environment. I'm thinking...more stabile, then less stress which may help with spawning.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Why do you turn the internal filter off at night? Is the sponge filter air powered? I assume that is being turned off as well?
While that will probably be okay, I don't think it is conducive for a stable environment. I'm thinking...more stabile, then less stress which may help with spawning.

Its just really loud to have those filters on in my room. The internal filter I left on last night and found that its really not that loud but still bother some...

NatureFish
????

I would suggest a new filter. The AquaClear series are pretty quiet and one of the better HOB filters IMO that you can get.
I bought an inexpensive internal filter (Topfin) for about $12 for a spare tank and it was quiet for a few days and then became annoyingly loud.

Will my killies eat mosquito fish? :(
How fast do they reproduce? So I'm guessing Endlers are a no, correct? :(
I wanted Endlers :(

NatureFish
????

No but it depends on the killies. The mosquito fish are very close to killies in manner and temper, if you put mosquito fish and endlers in the same tank the endlers would get chewed up and killed. If the mosquito fish wont survive with the killies, then the endlers most definitely wont.

Back
Top Bottom