Baby black moor white belly is that normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi I have a new tiny baby black moor , unlike my two adult black moors who are completely black. This baby seems to have a white belly. Is that normal? The other moors bellies have a silver shimmer but not like this baby.

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1417540756787.jpg
    1417540756787.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 179
Completely normal! He is losing his melanin (black) pigmentation. He will eventually be either completely orange or completely white. It's a very gradual process that occurs over months or years.

The only time this type of color change is a cause for grave concern is if this occurs in a very short span of time (such as 24hrs or over a few days). Hope this helps!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So all 3 of my moors will eventually change colour then?

So all 3 of my moors will eventually change colour then?

The most obvious indication that they will change color eventually is a light colored belly or any white/silver/gold on the belly area. A solid black moor may not change color over the course of their life but there honestly is not a way to know positively if the black is permanent.

Generally, fish bought from a lfs are commercially bred for quantity rather than quality and are less likely to retain their black color. There are private breeders that specifically breed for black genes- these fish would be the only ones guaranteed to remain black.

Either way, you will still have beautiful fish and watching the progression of color change is actually quite fascinating! :)

Wow babies belly is white so good chance he'll turn white. Dave my 1yr old moor has a silver belly. Ludo the 2yr old belly is black but he has a golden hint to his scales

Back
Top Bottom