BBA and fancy goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryukins

Aquarium Advice Activist
There is a lot of black brush algae growing on my plants. I wasn't able to find any information if BBA is good or bad for fancy goldfish.

I understand I may have too little CO2 but I don't want to go high tech or buy tones of flourish excel to combat this and already my lighting is about 6 hours a day.

Any tips or suggestions?

Another question, one of my fish has produced eggs (clear small balls) on the bottom of my tank. Is there anything I should do about this?

Attachments

• image-1392735830.jpg
    image-1392735830.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 69
  • image-372902662.jpg
    image-372902662.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 73
BBA is harmless to fish although it can occasionally cause issues with plants if too much grows on it.

You can start with manual removal and spot treating it with hydrogen peroxide in some bad spots.

With a goldfish tank it's very likely that there's an issue with too much nutrients in the water. What is your nitrate level at?

With the eggs, are you wanting to raise the fry?

I would put your light on a timer and split the photoperiod and start using Excel. You can spot treat with H2O2 or Excel as well as manually removing the excess BBA with a toothbrush before a water change. Trimming plants with excess amounts also helps. What type of lights are you running?

In respect to the eggs, what you want to do with them is up to you. If you want to try raising fry, they should be removed to another tank. If the eggs are white/opaque, they are not viable and should be discarded. Otherwise, just remove them with a wc.

Back
Top Bottom