black moor goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aring

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Are these compatible with silver veil angels? Keep in mind my silver is very young...about the size of a quarter

no, goldfish are a coldwater species of fish, and should not be kept with tropical fish. that goldfish also gets up to 10 inches long, angels also get pretty big what size is your tank?

never mind you are the one with a 10 gal, you've already been told that 10 gallons is not in any way suitable for a angel fish, and any goldfish regardless of type will be much to large for a 10 gallon.

you can also google any fish you plan to buy, or already own and you will find many websites that tell you how big they get and the temperature of the water they prefer. some will also tell you the minimum tank size for those fish. Do some research before buying fish and just throwing them in your tank or else you are going to end up with alot of problems down the road, and fish that die way before their life expectancy

Last edited:
For one thing u don't need to get rude with me I don't appreciate it at all and 2 I called a professional yesterday and I have at least a yr to upgrade my tank which I plan on later this month but don't worry I'll never post here again cuz of people like you

I don't think he was being rude, he was just stating the facts. And "professionals" can vary.. I can call the "professional" at many fish places and they know nothing. I goldfish grows fast and will outgrow a 10 in a year and way sooner that that. They also produce alot of waste for a 10 buy themselves alone.

Your angel isn't suitable for that tank either..you'll need to upgrade in a few months with it alone.

Goldfish are coldwater as stated above..it probably wouldn't last long.

I don't think he meant to be rude, OP...it's just that people get in a bit of a "frenzy" when they hear of, or read of, folks with beautiful goldfish like the Black Moor -- which I own -- and place them in horribly "incorrect" conditions like a 10 gallon tank; these fish get big, and do so rather quickly if care for properly, so a 10 gallon they will likely outgrow with any sense of certainty. Interestingly, I kept my four fancy goldies in a 10 gallon for almost a year strictly due to a tank crack emergency in which our last 60 gallon cracked and flooded our home and we needed to transfer them to the 10 gallon just temporarily. It took me awhile to scrape up funds for the new tank, but my point is that the ONLY reason these goldfish survived in the 10 gallon was because I did a 50% water change EVERY SINGLE DAY on this tank and watched water quality very carefully...

Otherwise, what was advised above is true -- goldfish should not be mixed with tropicals, which is the class angels fall into, as they're coldwater fish and trops demand warmer temps. The mixture just isn't right for a lot of other reasons, too; just keep goldfish with goldfish -- and not fast-moving ones such as small species of koi or comets with the slower-moving fancy-bodied types like Moors and Orandas -- and tropical fish with tropical fish (and even in THAT realm certain species have to be watched with regard to mixture, as fish such as your angels can be bullied to death by aggressive species such as Gouramis -- I've experienced it firsthand)...you should keep Chichlids only with Chichlids as well...

And, with regard to saltwater/reef species...well...you know....;)

I don't think he was being rude, he was just stating the facts. And "professionals" can vary.. I can call the "professional" at many fish places and they know nothing. I goldfish grows fast and will outgrow a 10 in a year and way sooner that that. They also produce alot of waste for a 10 buy themselves alone.

Your angel isn't suitable for that tank either..you'll need to upgrade in a few months with it alone.

Goldfish are coldwater as stated above..it probably wouldn't last long.

I got a bit of a chuckle, as well, out of his reference to a "professional" that he "called," Pock; I was trying to ascertain exactly what that meant...:blink: :ermm:

All I was asking was if I could...isn't that the point of this forum? I never said I did....I'm trying to learn what's right and isn't .....maybe he didn't mean to be rude but it came off that way...and I called a fish guy at a larger pet store

All I was asking was if I could...isn't that the point of this forum?

Yes, that is (one of the) points of the forum's existence; that's perfectly okay if all you were doing was asking if it was okay to put a Moor in with the Angel -- we just wanted you to know that for the best health of that beautiful Moor, you should please consider a larger tank for him/her because of their needs...and, I wanted to provide you with the differences between the tropical species and the coldwater species so you know why not to mix them...I hope that info helped.

I never said I did....I'm trying to learn what's right and isn't

Well, if you never said you did, then that's good -- you don't want those two kinds of fish together. Keep them separate, if you want two tank setups, and get the Moor a larger home and you will be on your way. (y)

.....maybe he didn't mean to be rude but it came off that way...

I'm not gonna touch this one anymore because I know via an online forum such as this intention and tone can get "lost" and easily misinterpretted; if you would like clarification with regard to his intentions towards you, may I suggest you shoot the member a private message and ask him if his tone was meant to be quasi-facicious...;)

I got a bit of a chuckle, as well, out of his reference to a "professional" that he "called," Pock; I was trying to ascertain exactly what that meant...:blink: :ermm:

Haha, thanks.. it's true though! :p

We gave you our professional hobbyist input and advice and now. it is your choice to take it into consideration. :)

Just a bit of advice,don't blindly trust that the guys at the lfs are always gonna give solid advice...I quietly visited all the lfs's in my area asking different individuals various questions until I came up with three guys at 2 diff locations that gave solid advice that wasn't backed by the idea of"sell sell sell"...don't take your first post on this forum as a bad experience&not return...there is tons of help here for the inexperienced keeper to further their knowledge of the hobby..

Ty tiger I appreciate it very much...I am doing as much research as I can...I found a great compatibility chart on PETCO so I know what can go in with her and I'm upgrading my tank in 3 weeks so shell be much happier:)

Just want to add experience in the hobby by hobbyists by no means equals a professional opinion but only ones limited experience within...

Ty tiger I appreciate it very much...I am doing as much research as I can...I found a great compatibility chart on PETCO so I know what can go in with her and I'm upgrading my tank in 3 weeks so shell be much happier:)

I'd recommend minimum weekly pwc's at 50% until you've placed her in her new tank...also I'd fishless cycle the tank before adding her...what size are Hopi upgrading to?

OK ty I will do that....I'm just gonna go to a 29g...I'm not looking to get anymore involved that that lol...I'm hoping to catch one at a good price in Indy on mem
day weekend at either pet smart or PETCO but if not I can get one around here for 58$ which isn't to bad I don't think

Back
Top Bottom