Black Moor sucking at surface occasionally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

em1981ma

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi I noticed today that my black moor dave was occasionally going to the surface and sucking at it between swims is this normal. He is a healthy looking guy no other signs of werid or ill health. He shares a 45 gallon with one Oranda Hoggle. They have a 350 Ehiem external filter with sponges and carbon media. No algae water very clear. The filter has an even surface aeration pipes that create lots of water surface breakage I also have a long bubble stone with pump so extra bubbles and surface breakage. The tank is 3ft 3 inches long and a foot and a half wide so a large surface area. I cant see how he wouldn't have enough oxygen. A water change is due tomorrow but I did a mini one tonight. My fish isn't hanging at the surface just I noticed he was sucking at the surface more than usual between swimming about as normal. Am I being over vilgiant and this is normal behaviour. I do 40-50% water changes every 6-7days.
I will see how it is tomorrow after I do the big water change. did a little 15litre one tonight as too late for a big one.

Five bucks says you feed flakes? If you are it is normal and the little guy is just looking for food when he gets hungry (always cause yk.. goldfish. LOL) Flakes are also negative because they can gasp air and the habit can cause swim bladder problems or bloat.

I would switch to sinking pellets and the problem will resolve. Plus it looks nicer seeing them root around in the substrate. Pretty funny. :)

What is the temperature of your tank? I doubt this is it and it is probably the flake habit. However, it is possible that if the temperature is too high, the water isnt holding enough O2. This is probably not the case as you have an airstone and Hoggle isnt doing it but check anyways to be safe.

Best wishes, - Raymond

Five bucks says you feed flakes? If you are it is normal and the little guy is just looking for food when he gets hungry (always cause yk.. goldfish. LOL) Flakes are also negative because they can gasp air and the habit can cause swim bladder problems or bloat.

I would switch to sinking pellets and the problem will resolve. Plus it looks nicer seeing them root around in the substrate. Pretty funny. :)

What is the temperature of your tank? I doubt this is it and it is probably the flake habit. However, it is possible that if the temperature is too high, the water isnt holding enough O2. This is probably not the case as you have an airstone and Hoggle isnt doing it but check anyways to be safe.

Best wishes, - Raymond

Hi I feed a mix of flake/premium goldfish pellets/primer pellets. He seems fine today big a 50% water change as was due today. He isn't doing it anymore. I did feed flakes yesterday. My goldfish seem to prefer flakes to all other pellets so been hard to get them to switch over but I think il try fade flakes out. I always push them under the surface so they don't suck at the top. The water is cold to the touch like room temperature. He is swimming around fine and I think maybe was just the fact I feed flakes and he was looking for more. Greedy git. haha

That's good he stopped! :) Hmm.. Try Saki-Hikari or Omega One? Or try garlic soaking. They love that.

Hope he lives for the 25 years capable of them! - Raymond

That's good he stopped! :) Hmm.. Try Saki-Hikari or Omega One? Or try garlic soaking. They love that.

Hope he lives for the 25 years capable of them! - Raymond

What is garlic soaking?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You get garlic juice (like how minced garlic has liquid) and soak the food in a bottle cap of it and just drop the pellets in. :)

Hi i did a 50% water change sat but his behaviour hasnt changed he keeps going to the surface and sucking at it then he swims about and does it again. I dont understand why? he is in a 42gallon tank with one Oranda who isnt behaving like this. They have 350litre external filter with aeration tube which has a pipe with several holes that creates an even stream across the surface of the tank breaking the surface water they have a long bubble airpump which also helps break water surface. The water is clear and they are both in good health. The Oranda doesnt go to the surface and suck.I am wondering whether the black moor is getting enough food My Oranda is faster than him and greedy. Could this explain why he is going to surface and looking for food rather than cause of oxygen levels. I often notice when i put pellets in they float post the black moor and he misses then i know he is a little short sighted lol but jeez he is slow compared to the Oranda who eats everything in sight. I feed a mix of pellets and flakes i always push flakes under the water so they sink. i am worried my black moor will get swim bladder problems in future if he doesnt get out of this habit he does do it alot near the same cornor where the external filter tube hangs over. He def eats i have seen him but i wonder if he gets as much as the oranda

When I have been concerned about slower, noneating fish, I usually either feed frozen brine shrimp because it floats enough that everyone gets a shot or I put a weekend feeder in the tank because it will slowly release the food. Also clipping red leaf lettuce ensures every one eats because one fish can't eat it all.

He may have a slight swim bladder problem and needs to gulp air, which is transferred to the swim bladder via capillaries in the gut in order to keep the swim bladder inflated. The compressed nature of the body shape in fancy goldfish may mean air is forced out of the swim bladder more quickly in some fish, necessitating more regular air intake.

I feed them veg weekly not always peas, like this week they had broccoli. Should I feed peas more regularly? how do I stop this as obviously I don't want him to get the full disease I am feeding them pellets but although on the pot it says sinking pellets a lot of them sit on the surface still.

When I have been concerned about slower, noneating fish, I usually either feed frozen brine shrimp because it floats enough that everyone gets a shot or I put a weekend feeder in the tank because it will slowly release the food. Also clipping red leaf lettuce ensures every one eats because one fish can't eat it all.

My Black moor dave def eats his just a bit slower finding the food. I am starting to feed them multiple feeds during the day as ive been told on here that will help them grow big. I was just feeding them once a day cause I feared overfeeding them but Ive been told I should feed more if I want them to grow big.

Back
Top Bottom