Bluegill Dying of Old Age?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackmoor311

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I've had this bluegill 2014 but he was at a high school so I'm guessing he is already very old. He was born in captivity so I can't release him.

I've done research and a lot of sites say fish don't die of old age. They die of diseases they get because they become more susceptible. Anyways, I would like some second opinions on what I should do if I can do anything.

Water parameters are normal, he has a 90 gallon planted tank and his only tank mate is a tiny female cichlid. I thought he would end up eating her but now they are best buds and I'm confused.

He hasn't eaten in at least a week and he is swimming into the glass, which he normally doesn't do. He is also staying still for long periods of time by the surface of the water. I've been feeding him floating cichlid pellets and river shrimp (which he absolutely loves) and he would eat as if he hadn't eaten in days.

I'm worried and I don't want him to die.

Thanks

Hello,

I've had this bluegill 2014 but he was at a high school so I'm guessing he is already very old. He was born in captivity so I can't release him.

I've done research and a lot of sites say fish don't die of old age. They die of diseases they get because they become more susceptible. Anyways, I would like some second opinions on what I should do if I can do anything.

Water parameters are normal, he has a 90 gallon planted tank and his only tank mate is a tiny female cichlid. I thought he would end up eating her but now they are best buds and I'm confused.

He hasn't eaten in at least a week and he is swimming into the glass, which he normally doesn't do. He is also staying still for long periods of time by the surface of the water. I've been feeding him floating cichlid pellets and river shrimp (which he absolutely loves) and he would eat as if he hadn't eaten in days.

I'm worried and I don't want him to die.

Thanks

Usually as fish age they will become more susceptible to disease, and I would say if they come down with a slight sickness + being so old that would + "dying of old age". I would guess he/she is just naturally declining.

Dang, I wanted it to be something I could cure. I guess ill just try to keep him comfortable the best I can.

The other fish I assume is not doing the same, and is smaller than the bluegill. And if the bluegill is still eating and acting somewhat normal. I'd say it might be time for a bigger tank. 90gallon seems like it should be big enough. But, they like room. And they are a bigger fish. just Imo.

I would have liked to upgrade the size but I have limited house space. The next best thing I could do is put him in my 200g plastic tub pond outdoors in spring. I'm just worried predators may get to him.

Either way your still taking a change. Best thing you can do now is just try to make him/ her happy.

If you're worried about predators outside in the 200g you could just use something like window screen and roll it over the top then just anchor it down

Bad news...

He has passed.

Thank you guys for answering so quickly and I appreciate you trying to help.

Back
Top Bottom