Breeding Endangered Species to reintroduce to wild

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keegster803

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys, I've been in contact with the DNR and State Fisheries here in Indiana, and was wondering if you guys would be interested in helping set up a endangered species breeding program? All comments and opinions are welcome

Sent via echolocation

Like the channel and gilt darters

I'm still trying to clear it with the DNR and the fisheries, currently waiting on an email back from the fishery biologist of non-game fish

Sent via echolocation

I'm tagging this for interest. Probably not up for breeding, still new and trying to get my fist tank set up, but being in IN I'm curious.

Well I'm hoping if they don't have any programs that are going to be started, that I could go and breed multiple pairs, and sell them into the aquarium trade, which will probably save the species from total extinction. As there are numerous species who are extinct in the wild, but very common in the aquarium industry

Sent via echolocation

For what it's worth, breeding endangered species for preservation is a noble cause however, breeding for reintroduction is a whole other story. I'd be surprised if the DNR would allow for such a thing in an uncontrolled environment and in the presence of non native fish so if you have other fish in the house, might not get approved. Too great a chance of introducing diseases not common to the area that the fish do not have natural resistance to.
Second thought, many species of animals and fish are endangered due to habitat destruction. So while it's great you have these species available for reintroduction, if there is no place for them to go, then where are you at? You might be better to work with habitat restoration and let the remaining wild populations repopulate themselves. There have been numerous examples of this being successfully done.

Good luck with the project and keep us posted on what happens. (y)

I fully agree that re-introduction will not likely be allowed. That is its own kettle of fish (yep, I said it) to figure out and generally any such program would be handled exclusively by the biologists at government agencies in your state. From the sound of your other comment, are you just looking to collect, breed, and sell so there is a viable population in captivity, or specifically to re-introduce?
Let us know what sort of responce you get. Props for looking into it!

Last edited:
Well I'm hoping if they don't have any programs that are going to be started, that I could go and breed multiple pairs, and sell them into the aquarium trade, which will probably save the species from total extinction. As there are numerous species who are extinct in the wild, but very common in the aquarium industry

Sent via echolocation

Keep in mind that in some cases, the tropical fish industry has been blamed for the population declines of some fish ( CPDs come to mind atm) so using it as a reasoning for protection of a specie may have some serious backlash. Yes, it did save the redtailed shark but again, habitat destruction caused that decline and habitat restoration and reintroduction of some of the few remaining wild populations may save that over reintroducing home grown sharks that already show signs of genetic faults due to domestic breeding.

I fully agree that re-introduction will not likely be allowed. That is its own kettle of fish (yep, I said it) to figure out and generally any such program would be handled exclusively by the biologists at government agencies in your state. From the sound of your other comment, are you just looking to collect, breed, and sell so there is a viable population in captivity, or specifically to re-introduce?
Let us know what sort of responce you get. Props for looking into it!

I'm looking to take pairs from different populations, breeding them, and then put the offspring into a bigger tank, and let them form their own pairs, so they can spread out the genetic diversity. Keep in mind, all these tanks would be species only. And I want to make a viable population in captivity and help re-introduce them back into the wild. I was thinking for the habitat destruction point, why don't we take all the offspring and reintroduce them to the creeks and streams that feed into the stocked retention ponds? They would serve as for for the baby bass that grow in the creeks, and they would help keep down mosquito populations too. But keep in mind, all this is still on the thinking board ?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

For what it's worth, breeding endangered species for preservation is a noble cause however, breeding for reintroduction is a whole other story. I'd be surprised if the DNR would allow for such a thing in an uncontrolled environment and in the presence of non native fish so if you have other fish in the house, might not get approved. Too great a chance of introducing diseases not common to the area that the fish do not have natural resistance to.
Second thought, many species of animals and fish are endangered due to habitat destruction. So while it's great you have these species available for reintroduction, if there is no place for them to go, then where are you at? You might be better to work with habitat restoration and let the remaining wild populations repopulate themselves. There have been numerous examples of this being successfully done.

Good luck with the project and keep us posted on what happens. (y)

Keep in mind that in some cases, the tropical fish industry has been blamed for the population declines of some fish ( CPDs come to mind atm) so using it as a reasoning for protection of a specie may have some serious backlash. Yes, it did save the redtailed shark but again, habitat destruction caused that decline and habitat restoration and reintroduction of some of the few remaining wild populations may save that over reintroducing home grown sharks that already show signs of genetic faults due to domestic breeding.

Good points Andy

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hey guys, I finally received an email back from the DNR and here it is

"Sorry for the delay in getting back with you. Thanks for getting in touch with me about your interest in raising endangered fish. To date we haven't done anything in this realm, but it is not out of the question that would could move in this direction in the future - although we really don't have a timeframe to take on such an endeavor. We are just now getting a handle on where are endangered species currently reside in the state and the habitat types and quality they need to thrive. Something down the road would be to look at their historical distributions and determine if a reintroduction might be an option. Ultimately our goal is to get species off our endangered list and this type of work could certainly be an option to help reach that goal.

Have you had any success to date in breeding darters in captivity?"

Sent via echolocation

I'm thinking that if we get enough supporters, we could potentially make this happen!

Sent via echolocation

Hey guys, I finally received an email back from the DNR and here it is

"Sorry for the delay in getting back with you. Thanks for getting in touch with me about your interest in raising endangered fish. To date we haven't done anything in this realm, but it is not out of the question that would could move in this direction in the future - although we really don't have a timeframe to take on such an endeavor. We are just now getting a handle on where are endangered species currently reside in the state and the habitat types and quality they need to thrive. Something down the road would be to look at their historical distributions and determine if a reintroduction might be an option. Ultimately our goal is to get species off our endangered list and this type of work could certainly be an option to help reach that goal.

Have you had any success to date in breeding darters in captivity?"

Sent via echolocation
I would maybe see what the possibility of getting some darters from DNR is to begin trying to breed in captivity. If you have success they might be willing to invest time and money into a program. If you are unable it might not be worth it for them.

I would maybe see what the possibility of getting some darters from DNR is to begin trying to breed in captivity. If you have success they might be willing to invest time and money into a program. If you are unable it might not be worth it for them.

I have 2 but sadly they are both males, unless I gave one to someone else, I can't get anymore. As releasing them back would be illegal, and I only have room for 2 of them.

Sent via echolocation

This sounds like a very good idea! I wish you the best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom