Brook trout pet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

parsons483

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello looking for anyone with experience with keeping brook Trout as pets? What can I feed it?
Sorry if wrong group

Pet brook Trout

Hello looking for anyone with experience with keeping brook Trout as pets? What can I feed it?
Sorry if wrong group

I believe trout need a large cold water tank with lots of current. Probably not the best home aquarium fish.

In many states it is illegal to keep any type of trout in captivity . check your local laws

If you get them young enough you can get them to eat blood worms. Might take a bit of time to get them to eat a flake or pellet food. If you know the trout are stocked from a fish hatchery you may get away with pellets right away which is usually the feed at hatcheries.

Definitely need to create a bit of turbulence and keep the water temp in the mid 60's tops. Brookies are even more picky about high temp than rainbow, browns, or common bigger lake trouts.

Brook trout live in small stream's and don't grow very big but I'd say a 100 gal is bare minimum for a small group.

In many states it is illegal to keep any type of trout in captivity . check your local laws

I live in Canada and there is nothing anywhere I can find that says you can’t keep trout as pets just most people don’t do it is all

If you get them young enough you can get them to eat blood worms. Might take a bit of time to get them to eat a flake or pellet food. If you know the trout are stocked from a fish hatchery you may get away with pellets right away which is usually the feed at hatcheries.

I have one. And it is a wild caught brook trout

Definitely need to create a bit of turbulence and keep the water temp in the mid 60's tops. Brookies are even more picky about high temp than rainbow, browns, or common bigger lake trouts.

When I go to the local pet store I’m getting a wave maker. I have been using frozen water bottles to keep the temperature down

You are going to need a large tank like 100g at the lowest and really you should keep it in something like 200g. These fish can get up above 2 feet in length. You are also going to need to buy a chiller to keep your temps down. Frozen water bottles is not going to work in the long run. I'm sure you are having or will have inconsistent temps without a chiller. Your country may not have laws against keeping trout but it comes down to what's truly best for the fish and not laws or your wants. Personally I think you should release the fish, buy all the equipment needed and read more on keeping trout. All in all you will probably be looking at spend over $1000 for a proper setup for this fish.

It's going to die.. it's a bad idea.. there are smaller cold water/fast water fish out there. If you want free fish than just set up a trap in the stream you'd be catching the trout from. Furthermore.. gather all the sand, rocks and sticks from said stream and make a native tank. That's what I'd do anyways.. assuming it's all on the up and up with your state's wildlife/fish and game dept.

Farm and garden stores would have foods. For people who have ponds and lakes on their property. I know there is something called Trout Chow - [looked it up] actually is called Purina Game and Fish Chow. Got some tropical fish from someone and they said they used to buy it for their huge and large number of fish because it was cheaper in a 50 lb bag.

Native tanks are great fun.

You are going to need a large tank like 100g at the lowest and really you should keep it in something like 200g. These fish can get up above 2 feet in length. You are also going to need to buy a chiller to keep your temps down. Frozen water bottles is not going to work in the long run. I'm sure you are having or will have inconsistent temps without a chiller. Your country may not have laws against keeping trout but it comes down to what's truly best for the fish and not laws or your wants. Personally I think you should release the fish, buy all the equipment needed and read more on keeping trout. All in all you will probably be looking at spend over $1000 for a proper setup for this fish.
In my area I've never seen a Brook trout over 12 inches. Mostly between 6-10 inches. I've also seen them live in small stream's two feet wide and 12-18 inches deep. You're right, hard to keep a low enough temp and I think the biggest challenge. Your rainbow, browns and cutbows can live in temps of 70 degrees to just above freezing.

It's going to die.. it's a bad idea.. there are smaller cold water/fast water fish out there. If you want free fish than just set up a trap in the stream you'd be catching the trout from. Furthermore.. gather all the sand, rocks and sticks from said stream and make a native tank. That's what I'd do anyways.. assuming it's all on the up and up with your state's wildlife/fish and game dept.

The continuous use of the water bottles has it at the right temperature and the trout has been doing fine. And I live in Canada there is no law that I can find saying you can’t keep a trout in an aquarium I have heard of people doing it and succeeding with it. I was just looking for advice on what to feed it. And the water bottles are only temporary.

I know what I need for keeping trout I just couldn’t find anything on what to feed it. And it can’t release it now it’s in the tank. And the water bottles are working for the moment that’s what I have been hearing for people using . It’s only a temporary thing with the bottles. All I asked was what to feed it

I'm in ON and it is illegal to transport live game fish ie: you will be finned if caught with a live game fish not in a native body of water.

I would say a 6 foot tank bare minimum, lots of flow / oxegen and a chiller is likely requires, temps in the 60's are a must.

How long have you had it?
What is the temp of the tank? how stable is the temp?
how big of a tank is it?
how big is the trout?

My vote: It will likely die.

Live foods, at least frozen Blood worms, live fruit flies tiny crickets. There are places to get live Black worm cultures. Mosquito larvae. It wiould need to be trained over to trout chow type food. Maybe Fluval Bug Bites foods made with soldier fly larvae.

Get some small worms from a tackle shop. Keep them in the fridge. Powerbait? I think that's what they keep at hatcheries around me.

I’ve had it about a week
I live in NL can’t find anything on if it’s legal or not.
The temp don’t budge much from 60f/15c.
The trout is about 3 inches long
20gl tank

Back
Top Bottom