Brown algae with Goldfish help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chaik

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a tank with 4-5 small goldfish that has an algae problem what do I do
I tried feeding less and cleaning it but it keeps coming back

Could you give us a little more information so we can help you better? :) How big is your tank? What kind of goldfish do you have? Do you know your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels?

42 bow tested the water today slightly hard but that's it all other parameters are good I just don't get it. Oh and the lights have been on all night the past few days

That's a lot of goldfish for a 42 gallon. Goldfish really need a minimum of 30 gallons of water per fish, depending on species. The only reason I mention it is that the large bioload of the tank is likely contributing to the growth of algae.

That's a lot of goldfish for a 42 gallon. Goldfish really need a minimum of 30 gallons of water per fish, depending on species. The only reason I mention it is that the large bioload of the tank is likely contributing to the growth of algae.

20g per goldfish and 10 extra per goldfish is the rule of thumb. But you also need to take into consideration the filter size a.k.a. gph.

Excess nutrients in the water can cause algae as well as excessive light. Try and run your lights 6 hours a day only and do 2-50% water changes a week. This will rid the excess waste.

What filters do you have now?
How long do you leave your lights on?

I intend no rudeness, but I politely disagree with the rule of thumb stated. My friend, who breeds and sells goldfish for a living, has repeatedly told me that no goldfish can thrive in anything smaller than 30 gallons. With fancies, the rule is really 30 for the first fish, 10 to 20 for each additional, and 55 per fish for adult fancies. Again, I meant no rudeness at all. Just sharing what I've learned owning two goldfish who require a 200 gallon tank all to themselves.The only reason I mention this is because, as fish-R-friends said, excess nutrients can cause algae growth. I suspect excess waste from so many goldfish in such a small space is causing exactly that--excess nutrients which the algae is then feeding on.

How long has this tank been running with fish? Can you post a picture of the algae you are dealing with along with your exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? Are you testing with liquid or strips? What type of water change schedule do you have (%/#week)? What type of lighting? We really need more information in order to be able to help! :)

Back
Top Bottom