Building a new pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

colematthewmalaka

Aquarium Advice Freak
Three Hills, AB the wheat capital of Alberta!!!
Hi, spring is almost here and I want to dig a new shubunkin pond in my yard, right now I'm using a old bathtub put in the ground but it's frozen solid because of our cold Canadian weather. I just want to know how deep it should be and if there's any way to keep fish in a pond during the winter here in Canada.

P.S. What kind of pond lining should I use?:cool:

You are going to want to go at least 4-5' deep.
Keep standard goldfish (comets) in a pond as long as it doesn't freeze solid, but I do not think this works with fancies such as shubunkins.

You should get something like this for a liner.

For the most part, liquid water can only get to 0 C before it turns to ice. As long as there is liquid in your pond, the water is no less than 0C. This is why the pond has to be so deep, the earth 4' down does not drop like the surface does.

The temperature swings won't matter, the earth surrounding the water 4' down will keep the pond temperature regulated. The biggest thing to dealing with temperature swings is to make sure that you aren't tempted to feed the fish until temps are consistently high (>50F or so) for a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom