Building A Pond Step By Step

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Murphy

Aquarium Advice Regular
For those of you who have'nt visited my web site yet. It has a photo step by step of how to build a pond and waterfall. I did this to help anyone who was thinking of putting one in the backyard. My pond is semi raised to make it level with my deck, but the basic construction is the same for an inground pond. Check it out at www.geocities.com/pondhowells/index.html
If you have any questions just e mail me

I just looked over your site, and I really like your pond! I'd love to build one, but alas I am currently in a townhouse so it's a no-go! When I get into a house that I'll be in for a while, I intend to get one. Thanks!

Nice site, good pics of the whole project.

Did you have to do any special insulation, as it's a raised pond and you are pretty far north? I would think the freeze danger would be pretty high.

The pond is three feet deep and has never froze to the bottom. I have a surface bubbler and heater to keep a hole open in the ice to let gasses escape, and the fish are fast asleep!

the fish are fast asleep!

I was going to ask about that - I'm in Minnesota, and was wondering if anything could survive the winter! When do they come to? The hibernation fascinates me!

They have a really big Koi, about 2' long, at a fish store near me in an indoor pond. Wonder if one could survive outside?

Murph,

I have 5 years in pond keeping now, dont be surprized if you lose the babies over the winter. I've found that at less than 3 inches they have a tough time making it through winter, and I'm near Baltimore, so my winters are nothing like yours.

While no one wants to lose fish, considering the rate my goldfish breed at I don't get too broken up over winter kill losses.

Each fall i try to catch the prettiest babies (really hard to catch golfish in a pond!) and bring them in to a 45 gallon tank for the winter. I have to post some pics, I have a couple nice white/orange comets.

While no one wants to lose fish, considering the rate my goldfish breed at I don't get too broken up over winter kill losses.

Ha! ha!, I know what you mean. My goldfish were breading like crazy and I have hundreds of babies. I was wondering what I was going to do with all of them. 8O

Back
Top Bottom