Bullhead Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KingSalmon99

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, Bullhead Catfish are my Favourit of all fish. And i would love to know what INFO anyone has on them. Stories,Pictures,Health & Care ect.

Thank you

Tyler

I've got a couple videos of my Florida Brown Bullheads (purchased from Zimmerman's Fish);

3/13

3/23

Grow quickly if you keep them well-fed. If you feed sparingly their growth rate will be fairly slow. I feed mine blackworms and NLS. It took about 2 months to get them to take prepared food. They will eat plants if they get hungry enough (they take the leaves off my egeria if I don't feed them for several days).

You'll find a lot of different info on their size. Zimmerman's says that they will get up to 15" max, but 9-10" is most common in the aquarium. Some places say 17" or more, but these are 'state record' sizes essentially. If you watch fishing videos, you'll see that the most common size of the catch is not nearly so large.

They don't seem to be too picky about water parameters. They're a hardy fish and have done well in an unheated tank that fluctuates between 68-76 degrees depending on what temp I'm keeping the apartment. I notice no difference in activity at the bottom or top of those ranges. They're always active, looking for food and come to greet me when I approach the tank.

Some will say they are "messy" fish, but that's not my experience. They are not more messy than my Hoplo cats were at the same size. In that respect they're quite normal. Certainly not oscar-like.

For Florida Browns, 55 gallon is the minimum size I would recommend. 75 is more ideal, but the only people that are going to be upset by you putting them in a 55 are the ones that think every single bullhead is going to be a 19" state record. Since this is my first time keeping them, I'm relying on the supplier's years of experience breeding them to gauge what they need, since most of the info you can find on 'bullheads in the aquarium' seems to be people repeating what they read on a fish and wildlife forum. You just have to remember that aquarium fish will usually be smaller than in the wild.

Jonah's Aquarium has Flat Bullheads (A. platycephalus) which seem to also be a smaller member of the Ameiurus crowd, but I don't have personal experience with them. Some day soon maybe :)

If you have any specific questions about them I will try to answer them.

Once they get about 6 to 8 inches in length, they can and will take live fish such as goldfish for food.

Back
Top Bottom