Came back from vacay to red fuzz everywhere

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MaggstAa

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just came back from vacation for two weeks yesterday, and before I left I set up my goldfish aquarium with an automatic feeder and automated timed light switch. The feeder was supposed to feed them once every 24 hours and the light was timed to stay on from 12pm-8pm. Even though the automatic feeder I bought is specifically made for my aquarium, I came back to find that most of the dispensed food missed the hole and was laying on top of the tank. Luckily I have a tank full of live plants (which are now destroyed from being eaten, understandably), so all of my fish survived, but now aside from all of the loose leaves strewn all over the tank, there is a red fuzzy growth all over the back wall of the tank and thickly coating the inside of the outgoing tube from the filter. Also there seems to have been an explosion of BBE on the remaining plants and increased green algae spots on the glass. I know that leaving the light on for more than 8 hours per day encourages BBE growth but before I left there was almost nothing, and I had thoroughly cleaned the tank about a week prior. Is this new red algae harmful to my fish? I'm going to rip out and replace all of the plants this week and scrub the tank but I need to know if I should be concerned for their health or if I need to treat the water to eradicate it.

Sounds like cyano. Can you post some photos? I always recommend a wc, manual removal if possible, reduction in photo period till your certain what it is and develop a plan of action.

Yes looks like cyno. Certainly doesn't look to bad yet. Research it but you should be able get control of it.

Back
Top Bottom