Can i keep a couple of neon tetra with a pair of gold fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sohini

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it safe to keep few neon tetras along gold fish? If not then which species will gel well with gold fish?? Please help...

Nope, neons are warm water while goldfish are cold water. Plus what size tank do you have them in. They get pretty large and have huge bioloads

Ah, then I really recommend not getting anymore tank mates for them. They can get 8 plus inches. There's a sticky on this here some where that's called
"Why goldfish require such big tanks" it shows how big they can possibly get

Ah well, tetras are still not a good match even if you didn't have goldfish as they are avid swimmers and a taller tank isn't a good match

Nope, neons are warm water while goldfish are cold water. Plus what size tank do you have them in. They get pretty large and have huge bioloads

I would beg to differ here. General temps for neons can run anywhere from 68°-74° while some will adapt well to temps of close to 84°. Goldfish won't do well in temps above 75° but can survive in extremely low temps whereas neons cannot. Also goldfish will generally not eat when temps drop below 55° or lower.

I wouldn't add anything with that goldfish now and would urge you to get a much bigger tank. At least a 30g and if you'd like more of them, another 10g per goldfish as it will thrive better.

Back
Top Bottom