Can Madagascan Rainbow fish live by itself?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dulcisveteranus

Aquarium Advice Activist
If not can a single Madagascan rainbow it live with other rainbow fish such as Irian and boosemani.

Madagascar rainbow fish are from Madagascar and the others are from Australia etc. From what I read the madagascar rainbows need to live in groups of their own kind preferably 6 or more and they get to be almost 6 inches as adults and need a lot of swimming space.
How big is your tank?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The site I looked at recommend 100 g or more for adults. I'm thinking maybe you could mix them with Australians because they are all supposed to be peaceful community fish but will they be happy and have enough swimming space if they are so active? Really nor sure there.

A 75 can sustain them well.
They do need 6 of their own species and not mix and match. You wouldn't mix skirt tetras with neon tetras as a school (let's say you did 3 each, which isn't enough) just because they are tetras. Same with cories

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I didn't mean mix and match with Australians to get 6. I meant get 6 Madagascar and also have rainbows. I think that would be too crowded though because they all like to dart around the tank.

I should have articulated that better.

Back
Top Bottom