Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Coldwater, Native Fish & Ponds
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2016, 11:53 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

big fish, little tank

if you can find a really large plastic storage tub and hang a really strong filter on it also keep changeing the water at least 50% twice a week because goldfish are coldwater fish no need for heater unless temp gets to frreezing-just be mindful of ammonia and then you could wait until spring too release him too pond

Old 12-12-2016, 12:17 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have not got a container big enough for him. He should be fine in there for the winter. Also for some reason his colour looks very faded and washed out? Could this be because of the bad living conditions he was in? If so will he ever get his colour back?

Old 12-16-2016, 11:50 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

How can I get him to get his colour back?
Old 01-01-2017, 09:16 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
Maybe winter him this year and then introduce into the pond in spring? That way you have time to fatten him up and get him ready.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app
follow toads advise
Old 01-01-2017, 10:31 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have 7 goldfish averaging around this size I winter inside in a 125-gal. The main issue, which is not really a problem - just something to be aware of, is they are dirty. I don't know if is their excrement, their constant digging in the substrate or what, but the filters on that tank fill up at a rate about 3 times faster than my other strictly tropical tanks. I run 2 120-gal rated cannister filters in series to allow headroom for filter maintenance. They typically seem to be lasting less than a month before the front-facing unit starts to clog.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:23 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Hi fish boy, I wish I would have seen this post sooner. Hopefully you still have the fish inside. He needs to be fattened up before he can deal with cold water. Goldfish stop eating once the temp goes much below 50 degrees and they basically go into a state of hibernation . To do that they need fat stores to survive on. So keep him indoors until the water temp outside is at least 60 degrees. Then you can acclimate him in a bag or bucket. Also, I've found that a 32 gallon plastic trash can makes an excellent temporary home for fish. I always keep a clean spare one on hand. Just in case I need it. Good luck.

Tags
big, common, fish, gold, goldfish, pond

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com