Can someone help sex a goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cntrygirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently rescued 3 gold fish, a minnow and a sucker fish. They're in a 29 gallon tank that was covered in green algae so bad you really couldn't see inside the tank. I've been scrapping the algae off with an old credit card.

The lady who gave me the tank and fish vacuumed the gravel when she drained the tank but the gravel still stayed wet until I refilled it. There was no carbon filter but a black sponge thing was in the filter. It was pretty dirty but I left it to help put the bacteria back into the tank.

One of the goldfish has a different body type than the other 2. Not sure if it's just a different breed or if it's a female?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1425114139775.jpg
    1425114139775.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 1425114179697.jpg
    1425114179697.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 1425114232743.jpg
    1425114232743.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 122
I really can't tell much from the pic except that the first looks to be quite bloated. I can tell from the description is that you'll need a much bigger tank if you'd like to keep them long term. The sooner the better. Goldies should be a minimum of 20-30g for the first and then at least 10g for each additional fish. Depending on species, probably a pond as they will outgrow that tank if they're not already stunted. It's also difficult to tell what type of "sucker" that is and may also need to be housed differently as well.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

So the two that look alike are fantail goldfish and the one that looks different is probably a koi or carp, not a goldfish. However care is much the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

How old are the goldfish? And can you send pictures of each one and a little bit closer?

If you can send close ups of the goldfish depending on their age you can tell by how big they are. A female will be fatter then the male

I know they need a bigger tank/pond. I plan on moving them as soon as I can to somewhere bigger. The lady said the fish in question has always looked the way it does since she got it. Not sure how old they are. Will try to get pictures again today.

Males have white spots on there gills they are called tubercles they may have a line of these on there side fins pectoral fins think that's what their called. But these don't develop till around one years old

we're gona need a bigger tank (boat).. JAWS ~~~∆~~\o/~~

The common name is breeding stars on the gills

Here's a couple more photos of the fish in question. I don't see the spots on any of the fish but it doesn't help all but one are white...

Attachments

• 1425159303213.jpg
    1425159303213.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 106
  • 1425159332156.jpg
    1425159332156.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 95
I can't really tell. Maybe in like a year or two you can be able to tell

Welcome to AA!! :)

Great job rescuing these guys! They definitely need some TLC before you can consider options for their future. Lots and lots of water changes, a quality food and veggies.

Do you have any idea how old they are? I suspect they are quite stunted from their prior care/conditions. Whether they are male or female at this point, is really is not relevant. Stunted fish in general do not display obvious sexual identities as survival rather than breeding is foremost.

The fish in question (the white one, correct?) appears to be an average fantail but a better pic would be helpful. Do you need help with IDs for the others as well? Feel free to ask any questions! :)

I've been feeding Wardley food that they came with. What do you think of API? Wanting to switch them to something different. Do I do the switch slowly like any other animal?
What kind of veggies can I give them? How much and how often?

I do not know anything else about them. No clue on age and the lady is not answering back. *rolls eyes*

Your right sex really doesn't matter but I don't want babies and want to know if they need to be separated. Will get pics of the others soon

I've been feeding Wardley food that they came with. What do you think of API? Wanting to switch them to something different. Do I do the switch slowly like any other animal?
What kind of veggies can I give them? How much and how often?

I do not know anything else about them. No clue on age and the lady is not answering back. *rolls eyes*

Your right sex really doesn't matter but I don't want babies and want to know if they need to be separated. Will get pics of the others soon

Don't worry they are not nearly large enough or old enough to have babies. And you will most likely not have to worry about accidental breeding for a long time.

You can feed peas (deshelled, broccoli, carrots, apsagus , most green veg par boil first so soft. So for delay in reply. I couldn't actually see the photo as my app plays up. But can now. Its actually not going easy to breed goldfish. The bigger the tank the harder it is to see the eggs. My goldies engage in spawning behaviour at least once a week. But have only successfully spawned once. And then only one baby found and he didn't survive. The bigger the tank the higher the water pressure. To be fair I never moved my eggs once laid. As I didn't want to breed goldfish. You have to move babies in to a tank which has only 6inchs of water. So they can feed easily. You have to be so vigilant as they live off there egg sac the first 48 hrs (I think) then by day 3 they go looking for food and this is hard to get right.

Oh Also you can feed salad items like cucumber, spinach, romaine lettuce. Some fruits too. Avoid items like onions al oranges,grapes and tomatoes they may eat as well.

Good veggie advice! I would recommend tossing the wardley and switching to a decent sinking goldfish pellet. Hikari and NLS are good brands to consider. Flakes for fancies can create more health issues than they are worth and everyone can eat them. :)

You can feed peas (deshelled, broccoli, carrots, apsagus , most green veg par boil first so soft. Sorry for delay in reply. I couldn't actually see the photo as my app plays up. But can now. Its actually not very easy to breed goldfish. The bigger the tank the harder it is to see the eggs. My goldies engage in spawning behaviour at least once a week. But have only successfully spawned once. And then only one baby found and he didn't survive. The bigger the tank the higher the water pressure. To be fair I never moved my eggs once laid. As I didn't want to breed goldfish. You have to move babies in to a tank which has only 6inchs of water. So they can feed easily. You have to be so vigilant as they live off there egg sac the first 48 hrs (I think) then by day 3 they go looking for food and this is hard to get right.

Back
Top Bottom