Cant grow a scud....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cohenjl13

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i have whatever the equivalent of a black thumb for gardening is for fish. I have added 1000+ scuds from 3 different supplies for different linage into my 10g planted tank that has been up since June, the only predator in there is a Betta, and i have no idea why my scuds die off or just disappear.

Also i have a 10g tank thats just Scuds with even more put into it, and they just die off. Can someone please help? I am tired of wasting money but i would love some Scuds!

The water is good i check it often, and it sits around ~80, with the Betta i have a HOB and the other one its just a bubblier to move the water

So i have whatever the equivalent of a black thumb for gardening is for fish. I have added 1000+ scuds from 3 different supplies for different linage into my 10g planted tank that has been up since June, the only predator in there is a Betta, and i have no idea why my scuds die off or just disappear.

Also i have a 10g tank thats just Scuds with even more put into it, and they just die off. Can someone please help? I am tired of wasting money but i would love some Scuds!

The water is good i check it often, and it sits around ~80, with the Betta i have a HOB and the other one its just a bubblier to move the water

What are the water parameters the temp don't help much

I do water changes using my 110 planted tank water which has a ph 7.4 and 0 for everything else for the empty 10g and in my betta tank I use tap water with prime and it sits at about the same pH

Not the ones in the planted tank, those have all disappeared. The ones in the tank get fed a mix of spiralina plant clipping and fish food

I killed my buckets of them because I thought they would get enough green water outside, but apparently not the case. Was told the reason was not enough green algae cells, Spirulina would have probably worked for me too.

Is there any rock rubble area to keep them safe in the tank for breeding and not being eaten?

I’m the planted tank is gots cholla, caves, sand grass etc etc so more then enough places and he only predator is 1 Beta

In the empty tank I have floating clippings and a sponge filter

Do you have any other invertebrates in the tank and, if so, how are they doing? If not so well then perhaps there is copper or other toxic substance.

No, only a pond snail that came with the acids as a hitchhiker, I think I was over harvesting them expecting them to boom over night so I’m just going to leave them alone for a while

Hmmm. I thought about introducing them into my shrimp tank but from accounts I’ve read typically they are almost impossible to get rid of and may prey on baby shrimp.

My friend put a couple in his fluvel flex while it cycled for a month or two by the time he added fish he said it was over run with scuds but the Cory’s absolutely loved everyone of them!

I tried a colony in a tupperware with little luck. They will eat pretty much anything, pellets, sunken flakes, plants, moss, algae etc etc. I will say my 5 gallon is where they started and I have plopped them into every other tank.

If there are any possible predators in the tank they will hide. I find them in my filter all the time but they are in the tank and breeding. I like them honestly.

They are also super durable creatures. Can live under almost any circumstance so I doubt water quality is an issue unless there are chemicals in it they dont like.

Is your betta tank heated? they wont really breed unless the water is pretty warm.

Back
Top Bottom