Channel Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

limnologist

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm gonna attempt keeping a baby channel cat. I figure its pretty straightforward (ive kept most species of native fish) but I was wondering if anyone here has had a past experience keeping them?

Long time ago, they used to sell the babies in the hobby pretty regularly. Lots of people bought them up without any idea of what they were getting. I had a couple albino ones that got up to about 18 inches each. They are messy fish (as in lots of waste) as most cat fish are, and get pretty large, so even for one you are going to need a pretty big tank. Generally pretty nocturnal, but sometimes active during the day, especially if there is food or if they have no hiding places. They like places to get it in and hide.

Agreed. They are messy, messy. Big time filtration. Lots of logs to hide under. I kept 2 that i caught for 2yrs. They were abt twice the size of the hook i caught them on, lol. So i put em in the live well and put em in a 125 long. I kept them for abt a year. Released them at abt 25" or so. It was fun to see them shape up.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Also, They do pretty up a little bit when kept in cleaner water.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom