Chasing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shanny

Aquarium Advice Freak
How much chasing is too much? My male Oranda is constantly chasing my male Ryukin. They are the same size, added at the same time a year ago and the only inhabitants in a 37g. The only time he isn't chasing is when he's eating or going up to the top. It slowly started and has increased more till it is almost constant. I'm not sure if this is stressful for Bruiser. Flash doesn't nip or hurt him in any way that I can see. He just constantly has his nose at Bruiser's butt.

Any ideas how I can stop the chasing or is that even necessary?

A 37g may be a bit small for 2 of these guys. But I'm no goldfish keeper. Do you have decor in the tank to break up lines of sight?

A 37g may be a bit small for 2 of these guys. But I'm no goldfish keeper. Do you have decor in the tank to break up lines of sight?

37g is plenty according to the goldy experts on here. 20g for 1st and 10g more per after that. So I am 7g higher than the recommended. I do have decor but it's limited to give them lots of swimming room. I could probably add more if that would help.

Sounds like breeding behavior if you have a male and female or male dominance behavior if you have two males. Hormones can be difficult to control but behavior therapy can help more often than not.

Get a large plastic pasta colander or a small plastic laundry type basket (something atleast 1ft deep & 1ft around). Stick it in the top of the tank. Anytime you notice the chasing, place the bad boy in the time out in the basket (not the fish being chased). Make sure you watch him when you do this because he may atttempt to jump out of the tank or injure himself in frustration. Leave him there for an hour or two. Then gently pick him by his tummy with clean hands and place him back in the tank. As soon as you notice the behavior again, back in the time out. It shouldnt take long before he realizes the basket is no fun and not worth the trouble. It may sound a bit silly but goldies learn pretty quick. Its works 'most' of the time except for males with raging hormones. :)

Sounds like breeding behavior if you have a male and female or male dominance behavior if you have two males. Hormones can be difficult to control but behavior therapy can help more often than not.

Get a large plastic pasta colander or a small plastic laundry type basket (something atleast 1ft deep & 1ft around). Stick it in the top of the tank. Anytime you notice the chasing, place the bad boy in the time out in the basket (not the fish being chased). Make sure you watch him when you do this because he may atttempt to jump out of the tank or injure himself in frustration. Leave him there for an hour or two. Then gently pick him by his tummy with clean hands and place him back in the tank. As soon as you notice the behavior again, back in the time out. It shouldnt take long before he realizes the basket is no fun and not worth the trouble. It may sound a bit silly but goldies learn pretty quick. Its works 'most' of the time except for males with raging hormones. :)

Thanks Jess! I'll start looking for a time out basket. Lol. And here I thought only my fur babies needed corrections.

Lol!! Timeouts usually work pretty well but it does take a bit of persistence and patience. My worst male (who abused everyone including other males) took a few months of therapy but I can stick baby in the tank with him now and he doesnt even give them a second glance. Good luck!!

Back
Top Bottom