Choosing the right pump!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rip Fantom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm getting ready to build my new pond at my new house. My calculations show that I'll have about 3,000 gallons of water. Do I need to match my pump size closely or can I get a 4,000 gph pump? I guess I'm wondering if more gph is better for filtration and waterfall asthetics?

:idea:

Also, what do you all think of pond kits? The trouble I'm having with those is matching exactly what I want and not paying for what I don't need.

Thanks! - Rip

Two thing we have to take into consideration when plumbing a saltwater tank is the distance from the tank and the height from the tank to the release point back into the tank. In other word, the higher and further the pump has to push the water, the less flow it will generate. I would assume it would be the same in the pond hobby. (although I am about a two months away from setting up my first pond)

Squishy

Squishy is right... The head height or height that your water must go is a key factor in determining the correct size pump. Additionally, you should consider any
additional features you are thinking of running (i.e. spitters (Angel,Frog, etc) or
fountains, UV's, etc.)
Your anticipated fish bio-load and/or type of fish is also a determining factor.

In summary, you should tell us as much as you can of what you want to do.....
and what your budget range is; so that a proper recommendation can be given.

Bernie

Rip's Pond

Thanks for the response Bernie, I was in the Dominican Republic this last week so this is my first chance to respond. I saw some nice tropical ponds, plants and big fat koi.

Anyway, my new pond will have a rough dimension of 11'x 18' or (3,000 gallons) at 2' deep. One end will have a skimmer and the other a bio-falls waterfall. I anticipate the height of the waterfall to be only 2'-3' above the water level of the pond. The pond will be in a half sun half shade area and I have five 8"-12" koi and a dozen other koi and comets less than 6". I also have 8 water lillies and will be buying more pond plants.

I'm just wondering if using a larger GPH pump than 3,000 GPH will be beneficial to keeping my pond clearer and safer for my fish?

I plan on spending between $2,000.00 - $3,000.00, but I found some good deals online.

-Rip

Rip....

Sounds like you're fixing to get a NurseryPro/Aquascape kit (which we also sell);
Since they have either the 1500gph or 3000gph option, I'd go with the 3000 like I
think you're planning. In general, any pump 2000-3000gph would be fine, again...
depending on just how many additional features you want to run.

Only other suggestion, would be to add plants and get your bio-system established
before you add too many fish. (A few at first, then a bit more later)

Bernie

Back
Top Bottom