Cichlid Pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pacifico

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was just curious if any of you have tried/heard of an outdoor Cichlid pond. I'm not very familiar with the pond scene, but it seems feasible, to me, that if you lived in a warm enough place, you could have a pretty bang'n Cichlid pond. Also, if you lived in an area that got fairly cold for certain seasons, is there an outdoor heater that would be effective enough to keep the fish warm?

Sorry if this is a ridiculous idea--I'm just curious. Thanks!

Hmm, never thought of that before. I've never kept any chichlids yet, only goldies. I would think it possible as they do live outside in the wild although it may take a lot of work to customize the pond to fit their needs.

A cichlid pond would be a fine idea as long as you had a good climate for it. They don't make pond heaters to my knowledge, but rather de-icers. Trying to warm a pond would be way too costly to be practical.

Ahh, that's what I was afraid of :-( Thanks for clearing that up for me.

I sucessfully kept firemouth, convicts, and jack dempsey in large outdoor tubs wityh no problem. They were small enough to heat up slightly, but the fish did womderfull and got better coloration than they ever had in my tanks. Also, i did nearly no feeding and they were fat n' happy.
Ben

Back
Top Bottom