Cichlid Stocking Options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
your gonna want to add a lot more rock structures to taht tank. Africans need a ton of caves to estabilish territory and keep down on aggression.

Actually they are doing well. The rocks on the right hand side have plenty of caves, and the driftwood is almost hollow underneath. I also have a new plant in the rear center that should fill in soon.
An updated picture will be posted this weekend. The tank is a lilttle different now; mostly in plant life. A little too much algae too . . . but that's in a different post ;)
Anyways . . . as far as stocking; I don't want to go larger than my electric blue, "Samson". First off, there isn't room . . . second; I'm designing the whole thing around him. He's my favorite.
I temporarly have otos in there to help control the algae until my CO2 system is ordered.

are those lake Tanganyikan? I keep Lake Malawi so i don't relaly know anything about what you keep. I thought you were supposed to keep it pure, either lake malawi or tanganyikan, but i see you have the electric blue in there as well. So id say you can add just about anything you want as long as they get along!

One or more Altolamprologous calvus or compressiceps would be helpful, particularly if/when the brichardi start spawning. As the fry grow, the brichardi expand their territory, eventually taking over the tank. Calvus or comps will keep their numbers down a bit, and are well equipped to defend themselves from attack.

I've actually been wondering about my brichardis. The way they behave has made me wonder if I lucked out and actually got a male and female.
Until my electric blue showed up the Leleupi ruled the tank. They took whatever they wanted for territory and were highly aggressive. They have calmed a little now.

Part of the reason I picked up the brichardis and leleupis was because I was told they stay relatively small. Any other cichlids out there that tend to stay small?

I'm also debating on introducing a raphael cat too. Any opinions on that?

Our aquariums are completely different water conditions from the wild.

I've had Raphael cats before. And I have seen them in cichlid tanks. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried that on here.
Any other fish suggestions guys?

Back
Top Bottom