Cloudy water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thestalk1991

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everybody, need help with my tank! ?

We have 2 baby koi one shubunkin
1 black moor 1 raunchu 1 pleco and one fancy goldfish

There appears to be a foggy look in my tank, it's a 90ltr tank. It's generally new but at the start I used all the water that was in the old tank. It was perfect at the start but unfortunately since then this irritating fog look at appeared. We have done 50% have done water changes for about a week. It's is is been cycled 14 times a hour and has to 700 lph filters on it. We have used accuclear which apparently clears cloudy aquarium water and works fast. We have also used a api micro fibre in the external filter to catch all the bits that we only use for 24 hours, 24 hours are nearly up and it's still none the better we have taken all the gravel plants and ornaments out still none the better and previously cleaned all the filters and pipes but only slightly cleaned the media to keep the bacteria. Can somebody help us please as we are following all the guidelines and it's still none the better.
Any help would be great thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Did you mean a 90gallon tank? V.over stocked if all those fish are in a 90litre. What are your water readings?

Sent from my Kestrel using Aquarium Advice mobile app

90 litre tank i had a 100 gallon tank but had to get rid hence the reason the fish are in a smaller tank.i have a cascade 700 lph and a eheim 2215 600lph on the tank because it is smaller.do you have any advice on the cloudyness?
thanks for your reply

Water should be clean and clear so its a sign something. A bacteria bloom. It can happen in new and old tanks but more common in newly set up tanks. I would say its a sign that something is out of balance have you tested water?

Is it white or green the cloudiness

had the water tested all was fine on that end we have literally tried everything possible and its costing a fortune buying these remedies that are not working.its a white cloudiness i would liken it to looking asif small particles are floating around.

You said tank is fairly newly set up. It could just be a bacterial bloom which can happen during the cycling process. Number of potential causes.

Adding too many fish at once
Gravel residue
Uneaten food waste.

You have cleaned filters so you can rule that out. If your gravel is white or grey could be wasn't rinsed enough before set up.
Its hard to pin point a cause and a process of elimination can you tell me the PH of the last water test?

Bacterial bloom tends to happen fairly late in the cycling process so may be why you are experiencing it now. As the tank establishes it is trying hard to cope with the fish waste if you add too many fish before enough good bacteria is established this can result in cloudiness and nitrate levels should be monitored closely. The cloundiness should get better with time water changes and patience I'm afraid.

im not sure of the last ph levels.
this has been going on for nearly 2 months now,its really getting to the point of there is nobody or nothing that seems to fix it.accu clear did nothing api micro fibre did nothing algae remover did nothing all the cleaning and water changes have also done nothing the tank is completely bare apart from fish and water
thanks again

Please retest and post detailed results when you can. Without this info you won't get many ppl to advise. Sorry nothing has worked so far. Its not an aglae issue the water would have a green tinge .

Welcome to AA!!!

Just so I am clear, you have these fish in a 90l (23g) tank? Unless you are changing 100% of their water 1-2x a day, its impossible to avoid problems in this tank. Adding chemical 'fixes' will only create more problems. Koi do not belong aquariums, even as juveniles. I strongly recommend rehoming these guys to a more suitable pond home. This size tank is fully stocked with a single fancy goldfish. Three need minimum of 50g with frequent water changes.

What type of pleco do you have?

In the interim until you can address a very serious stocking and incompatibility situation, I recommend daily (yes, daily) 50-75% water changes with temperature matched, properly conditioned water to try and make this situation more comfortable for the fish that are housed in this tank. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions! :)

Back
Top Bottom