Comet goldfish skittish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finian

Aquarium Advice Regular
Okay, I have a little bit if explaining to do first, so bear with me!

My husband won a goldfish at a fair before we got married (been married for five months). I had a forty five gallon tank for my mollies and we kept the goldfish in there for a while but I wanted to put him in colder water, so I had a spare ten gallon from my late betta and put him in there. We bought him a friend and planned on buying a 30+ gal tank for them in the future.
Well the 45 gallon cracked and had to be replaced, so the goldies are still in the ten gallon.

While the 45 replacement was on order, my mollies had to live with the gold fish. They all got along fine. When I moved the mollies into the new 45, I changed around the goldfish tank decor and left them be.

Since then the goldfish have been highly skittish and hide. The first goldfish used to be super friendly and loved people, but now he hides.

I tested the water, everything comes out fine but I did a 50% water change to be safe.

So what could be the matter? Its been three weeks and they are still acting funny. Is it because they feel vulnerable without the mollies or are they feeling cramped? One is 1.5 inches long, the other one inch. They are the only fish in the ten gallon now.

Note:I am planning on getting them a larger tank, because I'm aware how large they will get. But the cracked tank put me back so I can't get their new tank any time soon.

well try putting them in the 45
my goldies loved a cory when he died they went with him no problems with water or food

I'm not sure if goldfish exactly develop "territories" but I believe I read you changed the decor around, it probably messed up their "territories" and they have to develop new ones.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

So they would be okay with the 78-80 degree temp of the 45?
And yeah the territory thing might be true too

45 gal. freshwater and 10 gal. female betta tanks

Comet goldfish are very social. I had saved a comet from a 10 gallon with a Gourami that tore it to Shreads. I put a school of Zebra Danio with him and he cheered up. danios are what they call a Dither Fish. Their active swimming helps shy fish realize there is no threat.

Yes I have a comet he's such a friendly little fish. Loves the company of my other fish follows him around all day :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Dithers are a good idea, maybe fathead minnows (rosy reds), or whites clouds will help relieve the portrayed shyness

Back
Top Bottom