Comet or common goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newlyobsessed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I rescued a goldfish from the fair and it lived in a little box tank from the fair for 4 months. Now it's in a 7.5 gallon tank and I'm working on getting all the levels under control but it hasnt grown at all I don't think. I know that this tank isn't big enough for it but can it live in there for a month or so?

I found growth is slow. It's not ideal but you can only do what you can do.

I had a comet which went from tank (got too big) to pond and growth rate in pond was absolutely incredible.

Daily water changes??? Is there a filter?

The fish will likely not be growing as quickly with poor water conditions.

This would be my thoughts to get it on the right track, of course with a larger tank and a filter you can keep the fish for a little while but it really sounds like a fish for a pond after it is more than 4-5".

If you already do daily water changes of say a gallon or more, do the instructions with the 2G b2b. If not, do the instructions below that.

Always use treated water (with Prime water conditoner is a great choice,) and water temp match the new water to what the fish has already. Nice that you do not need a heater.

2G b2b
Change 2G then change 2 more gallons. A back to back aka b2b water change.

Change out say 2 gallons every day for a week you can do 1G AM and 1G PM or 2 total when it is most convenient.

Option #2
Only if you do not do frequent water changes every week...
This is a way for the fish to gently become acclimated to better water conditions with out shocking it.

How I would do a water changes say 1 gallon then another gallon b2b.
After 12 hours later same 1G then 1G b2b, 12 hours same again same, for 2 days.

Then 2G each day for around 4 days. Same as above 1G AM & PM or 2G once a day. Which ever is most convenient.

By then you will have changed enough water to have freshened things up and get levels under control.

Then after the week of time, change about a gallon per day. You can use a cleaned good sized container to be the scooping one (like fast food drink cups of 20-30 ounce size but a Solo cup works great too) and a gallon pitcher from a discount/dollar store reserved only for your fish pwc's.

Fill gallon container with old water,
water the house plants or yard
add 1G fresh Prime treated water, same temp water and presto done in less than 5 min.

A couple notes are a turkey baster sometimes can get from a dollar store or discount big box store for cheap, can suck up uneaten food quickly.

A piece of plastic tubing will work for pwc to remove gunk from the bottom of the tank, if you already have a small vac (fluval makes a nice one for smaller tank) you can just buy a 6 foot piece at the local big box hardware store and a 5G bucket.

The kind of food you use is important too. Something that doesn't break down too fast, Hikari food is a basic staple.

Truth is, these poor fish are not something which should be given out at a carnival, or fair, or party, as a prize and it is so sad people still do this.

It is nice that you are trying to save it but GF are big tank polluters, like to eat several times a day due to their digestive tract (or all day long in a pond) and are not really suited for a indoor fish tank because they will get 12-18" long in a good enviroment live a pond

Back
Top Bottom