Common goldfish breeding size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jay24

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Not getting a good answer online could someone tell me at what size commons typically start spawning?

Sent from my C5155 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hello, I'm pretty sure they start breeding at around 1 year old.
So maybe 3 inches?
But that's just a guess as I'm not 100% sure
Happy new year!

OK would a dozen commons most likely be a good number to add to expect a spawn or two? The commons I'm getting are around 2-3 inches.

And happy new year to you also!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK would a dozen commons most likely be a good number to add to expect a spawn or two? The commons I'm getting are around 2-3 inches.

To be honest with you I don't know much about breeding.
The answer I gave you was what I was told a while ago by a friend.
I can tell you that 12 goldfish is a lot of goldfish.
It would have to be temporary unless you have a 140 gallon tank.
Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

The fish are going in a 45 gallon breeder however they are going into my roughly 3-400 gallon pond this Feb. Would the 45 be overcrowded? For the month?

It should be ok as long as you keep an eye on your water quality and do water changes whenever necessary.

Weekly water changers from %70-90 and two HOB filters, one for 60 gallons and the others intended for a 15g setup. Sound good?

Jay Wright

Weekly water changers from %70-90 and two HOB filters, one for 60 gallons and the others intended for a 15g setup. Sound good?

Jay Wright

2 30%-40% weekly water changes might be better.
But like I said just keep an eye out on your water quality and the sooner they get in the pond the better.

I'm getting them tom. Should I just get six? I don't want to crowd them just want to get my hospital tanks goin..

Jay Wright

Thanks!

Jay W

If I stuck with six commons could I add a shoal of two dozen rosy red minnows?

Jay W

If I stuck with six commons could I add a shoal of two dozen rosy red minnows?

Jay W

If I were you I would do the goldfish first and once they're in the pond then you can get the minnows.

Thanks again. I'm guessing its due to the ammonia goldfish produce?

Jay W

Thanks again. I'm guessing its due to the ammonia goldfish produce?

Jay W
Yes even little 3 inch goldfish have a big bioload.
The goldfish you are getting, I'm guessing feeder, get huge and fast and that's why they should be in the pond as soon as possible.
I'm doubtful that the goldfish will breed in the tank, it's more likely they'll breed in the pond.
I mean I could be totally wrong about them being at breeding age at 1.
It would be best to research about goldfish breeding before you try it.
That's my 2 cents.
Good luck!

Oh of course, the pond will be finished in late Feb and all of the fish will be moved in asap.

Then I'd like to reserve the setup to breed rosy reds for my other fish. Would you guys suggest I just hold off all together until I finish the pond and only house rosy reds in the 45? How big of a shoal of reds alone could I put in the setup?

Jay W

Thanks again for the advice guys, I'm experienced with tropical and sw species but have just developed an interest in natives and cold-water setups.. working on stock now and just need a little reassurance. :)

Jay W

Oh of course, the pond will be finished in late Feb and all of the fish will be moved in asap.

Then I'd like to reserve the setup to breed rosy reds for my other fish. Would you guys suggest I just hold off all together until I finish the pond and only house rosy reds in the 45? How big of a shoal of reds alone could I put in the setup?

Jay W

It would be best to save the Goldies for the pond and do the minnows now.
I'm assuming the max size of the minnows is about 1.5 inches? If so you could do the 2 dozen.
But since you're experienced I assume you know to add maybe 6 at the most at one time and keep adding 6 a week till you hit the 24.

Back
Top Bottom