Container water garden questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

acpart

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
This is my first post here. I'm primarily a reptile person but I've been dreaming ever since last summer of having a container water garden up on my porch. I've done a lot of research, but I still have a few questions that I can't quite find the answers to. Ideally I would have a 30-50 gallon container with plants and a few comets. My porch has an overhang to protect from the sun. It has an eastern exposure and gets morning sun ; after that the sun goes up over the house. In the winter I plan to bring the pond inside (I live near Boston)

1. Do I need to have 24 hour filtration for the fish if I have the right balance of plants? I'd like to have a solar pump which obviously would not run all the time.

2. Can comets, a pump/filter and a small water lily co-exist in a container?

3. I'm also curious about what kind of containers people have had good luck with. I'm considering a half whiskey barrel (plastic) or possibly a popup container, although I'm nervous about the flexible sides.

thanks in advance for any advice you have.

Aliza

Half whiskey barrel, or even a feed trough seem to be the most popular choices. It should all work out, just ask more questions.

acpart said:
1. Do I need to have 24 hour filtration for the fish if I have the right balance of plants? I'd like to have a solar pump which obviously would not run all the time.
No you don't need it 24 hours if you keep the fish load low, and have a good amount of sumberged (oxygenator) plants. I really don't know anything about solar pumps, but I've kept fish and tadpoles in a container garden with NO filtration, just submerged plants.

acpart said:
2. Can comets, a pump/filter and a small water lily co-exist in a container?

A qualified yes. The lilly would have to be very small, so that the leaves don't cover the water's surface. Light must get in for the submerged plants to create oxygen. Oxygen also enters the water through gas exchange at the surface, lilly leave will block that process also. Comets should be small, and not too many.

acpart said:
3. I'm also curious about what kind of containers people have had good luck with. I'm considering a half whiskey barrel (plastic) or possibly a popup container, although I'm nervous about the flexible sides.
I got just the thing for you. At my local Home Depot, they have these things called DuraBarrel. They look like a half whiskey barrel, but are made of good thick plastic. No liner necessary. I'm not certain of size, but I think the ones I have are about 30 gallon.

Thank you so much for your response. I'm hoping for about a 30 gallon container with a maximum of 3-4 small comets. You've given me some idea of how to proceed.
Aliza

You will need a plan for them. Over one summer 3-4 small comets become 3-4 medium comets. After one more, they become 3-4 large comets. Not to discourage, just something to keep in mind.

Good luck and keep asking.

How big do comets get? I was under the impression that they don't get that big. Is there another variety of fish that doesn't get that big?

Aliza

Comets will get 1.5-2' ish I believe. Look into some of the fancy goldies. Some stay a bit smaller, and you will need to bring the tub in for the winter anyway.

Back
Top Bottom