Corey's in a Pond?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bandita

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm currently building a pond to upgrade my 2 koi's home. They're now in a 55-gal tank with 2 Corey's (one albino...and not sure what the other one is) and one pleco. I live in HI where temperature is mild year-round, and I read that Corey's ideal temp is in the 70's (and pleco's even have a greater range). Once I get my pond set up, I plan on getting a temperature at different times of the day/night. If in the 70's, I'd like to re-home the pleco and Corey's in the pond too (I really don't want to continue to maintain an extra big aquarium with just 3 fish, and not motivated to get more fish right now). My main concern is weather the Corey's will be able to handle the depth, since they're bottom dwellers. The pond will be 30" deep. I read that Corey's in nature are in shallow streams, but what defines "shallow?" I will be having a fountain, so the water will be aerated, but still not sure if the Corey's will be happy at that depth.

Yes, the corys will be fine. I suggest getting at least 8-10 or up to 25. They will also spawn in the pond so you may end up with 25 plus. I keep anues in one pool and paleatus in the others.

That is such a relief to hear! Thank you! I was also pleasantly surprised tonight when I took my first temperature reading. I thought it might be too cold for the Corey's, but it was 74 degrees, so I think they'll be fine temperature-wise too.

Back
Top Bottom