Cost to set up a pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tommy10

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a pond in my yard i estimate maybe 125 gallons. Over the years we have put koi in it a they all die in winter. (This is before I knew anything about fish.) it has a fountain and a drain system in it and thats how we would change water and it is all cement, no substrate. So my question is what would I need to get this pond set up properly and how much would it cost. If it's to much I will just leave it empty but if its reasonable i may pursue it!

I usually buy just common goldfish, sorry for the mistake above. And thanks for the response but do you know what hardware (pumps filters etc) I will need and how much they cost?

I usually buy just common goldfish, sorry for the mistake above. And thanks for the response but do you know what hardware (pumps filters etc) I will need and how much they cost?

It's still not much room for commons. I wouldn't add but around 10-12 because in a years time they reach 6"

Ok but my question is what hardware would I need?

How deep is your pond and how are your winters? If your previous fish did not survive the winter, I think we need to start here first then work on other considerations.

I do not run any type of filtration system once the pond temps hit @40f and switch to circulation pumps and deicers until temps climb back above 40f in the spring. My winters range from tolerable to pretty nasty (this year especially) and my fish (including fry) manage without too many issues.

3.5 feet to 1 ft. (Its a circle that is kinda shaped like a funnel. And I live in canada so I have extremely cold winters (down to -25 Celsius) and a lot of snow on top.. So thats my biggest worry.

Ok, this makes sense now why the fish did not survive. I am sure there are people that have ornamental ponds in your region but your present pond would need some overhaul or would need to be heated (@40f range) to sustain fish through your winters.

My best guess would be you would need minimum of a 4ft depth and heavy duty deicer for fish to survive the winter. My deicers only work to air temps of -10f and -20f respectively and have been working in overdrive this winter with zero and below zero temps. Snow is not big deal but my concern in your region would be the pond freezing solid which is why it would need to be deep (ground helps to insulate it).

A third option would be to bring the fish indoors for the winter. This is something many people do and I even bring my expensive guys inside once the temps drop below 50f.

Have you looked into pond or koi clubs in your area? These would be the best people to speak with to find out what methods they use and the most important issues to tackle and how to do it. Hope this helps a bit! Feel free to ask any questions!

I live in an extremely small town so I doubt there's a pond club. Also bringing them inside is not an option unfortunately. I'm starting to realize that maybe this isn't the best idea to put fish in it? Any advice?

Aside from making this pond bigger and much deeper or bringing fish inside, the best solution I can think of is to look into options for heating it. Not swimming pool temps but just enough to keep it from freezing (@40f water temps). I honestly do not know what this would involve or what the cost would be but as it is not a large or deep pond, a guess is it would not be excessive. If you could place sort of canopy or cover above the surface to keep snow out, this would also reduce heating costs. Best I can think of right now!

I will think about it :) I have lots of time winter is showing no signs of leaving anytime soon up here!

Thanks for all your help btw! I really appreciate it!

I will think about it :) I have lots of time winter is showing no signs of leaving anytime soon up here!

Here either!!! I honestly have enough already. If I can think of something more creative, I will let you know! The main point is to keep the pond from freezing solid which is the crucial factor in the area you live in and with such a small depth. The fact that its cement rather than a liner over ground may actually make heating it much easier because there is no risk of melting or burning a liner.

Perfect, thanks again man! I will pm u in spring if I want to pursue this!

Back
Top Bottom