cycling a pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oh i have some feeders in there too. if i bring the orandas in for the winter in a tub thingy how would i filter it?? and could the feeders survive out there?

I have had a 50 gal 'kidney' shaped pond for the past 2 yrs. I started out with 'feeder' fish and they are now to big for the pond. I've always brought them inside for the winter. I invested in a 90 gal aquarium last fall for them.

Last year my 'crew' had babies & 4 of the babies just went back out side today. The 'adults' will have to wait for a few days. I want to get either a 300 gal poly livestock tank or another preformed pond(200 gal). Either tank or pond is the same price just that the tank could be emptied & brought into the basement for the winter. I don't think the preformed ponds would be as moveable.JMHO

I also have 2 'bug-eyed fantail' calico goldfish that are a year & a half old. They were outside last summer(both were same size when they went out). when They came in last fall, one was like a golf ball in size and the other was more like a ping-pong ball. I am 'putting in placing' an old bathtub in the yard for them and 2 more of last year's babies.

Ponds apparently produce the MPS(multiple pond syndrome) similar to MTS :lol:

No, your pond is way too shallow, and will freeze solid. You will need at least 4' to have anything survive the winter.

The tub is the exact same thing as a pond, or even an aquarium. You can bring your pond filters inside and just run them into the tub.

would like 2 32 gallon trash cans work? or i guess i prolly wont be able to filter it very well though

2nd and third look perfect. The garbage can would be too tall and narrow I think. Just use the exact same pump and filter you are going to use in your outdoor pond. If you don't want to do that, treat it the exact same way you would a regular 50 gal aquarium. There is absolutely no difference between a glass aquarium and a tub like that except that you can't see through the sides of a tub.

last question my mom was afraid it would leak or leech or put chemicals into the water. i think shes wrong but i need a 2nd oppinion..

oh yeah roger uve been a gr8 help thx.. this is my setup right now..

i have like 3 orandas (got b4 i found out they dont do well in ponds) and like 13 feeders.. i got a couple xrta feeders because their like feeders and are bred to feed other fish so im sure theyve been inbred etc so some will prolly die.
thinking about having a 300 gph pump on a filter and having a divider for a frog spitting onto waterfall or just a line going to the waterfall. have a 100 gallon pond. 50 gallon tub (hopefully getting 2) but might have to get like a emperor 380 i think there is. or is it 280 and 400 but watever. ill use the pond filter on one and the 400 on the other.. ill prolly have enough money for the emperor by the end of the summer and the pump/filter/fountain (coming in out take of filter) i think im getting tomorrow.

im sure i have tons of stuff wrong but all i have now is the fish and the pond. i havea 15 gallon corner filter (for airation)going in the pond since we had to return the pump to get one to fit the fountain . i might just be getting a 170 gph and have it with the fountain.

oh yeah. petco may be more expensive in some areas and petsmart in others but petco rocks in feeder goldfish. they have the white kind with the red head or red top and those look like orandas (cept feeders) for 0.12$ and if you get the pals card (free) their 0.09$ each.

1. On leaching, it shouldn't, but to be on the safe side just rinse it out really well. Since you won't be using it over the summer anyway, fill the tub up with water now to see if it holds up. This will also help leech out anything that might potentially come out later.

2. As far as a waterfall, you might need a separate pump from your spitter. Since you need more pressure to bring water up to the waterfall height, you might get a lot of flow from the frog, and not a lot from the waterfall. One pump might work, just experiment.

3. Aeration shouldn't be a huge deal if you have the waterfall going. Might I suggest getting a few stems of anacharis and throwing them into the pond for aeration. It really takes off quickly, and the fish like to nibble on it a bit too.

4. The all white with red patches are my favorites too.

:) yeah thx again. we wont be getting the tub till late fall i think.. weve spend around 180 on the pond. i guess thats not that much but still. i have a 300 gph pump so i think it might work. if it doesnt i can just return it again. ive returned 1 pump 1 attachment for the pump bought back the attachment. bought a 300 gph pump and some plants. i think thatll be enough for like 2-3 months. i needa get some more flakes since their not big enough for the pellets i bought. or i could just use the bio blend thingy i got.

I have used the Rubbermaid storage containers for over-wintering some goldfish before, they lived with no problems, so I don't believe you will have any issues with leeching of chemicals from the tubs.

I also really like these plastc 1/2 barrels, called Durabarrels

http://www.worldwise.com/durbar.html

Bought them at home depot last 2 years, I think 40 bucks each. They look good, are made from recycled plastic, and are heavy duty.

ic. only problem is wood rots over time. i think ill go with the rubbermaid. 15.00$
plus how big are they?

Krap, the barrels are plastic, as I clearly stated in my previous post.

ic i guess i got it wrong. it said its made of genwood materials and i thought it said it was made of a genuine wood ;'( sry. so how big is it?

from the site..."made from a unique blend of recycled plastic and natural wood fibers." ..."It is stronger than either wood or plastic barrels. The material will never rot, which means, among other things, that the bottom will never fall out."

Well you weren't completely wrong there is wood fiber in there, sorry about that, I was a bit cranky.

Anyway they won't rot, they seem just like molded plastic to touch, but look like a real barrel.

16 inches high, 23 inches across. We con't have a calculator here for round containers, I'd say it holds 25 gallons or so.

ic. only problem is youll have to get about 4 of those
thats 160$ or you could just spend 30 on 2 50 gallon containers. im not very country so i dont think i would like it. im keeping it out of view anyway so the look doesnt matter much.im keeping it in the concrete area by the water heaters etc are.

actually i think it might be more. think if pi. 3.141592654. the diameter is 11.5. that times that =36.128315521. x16=57805...

Back
Top Bottom