Damaged eye on Moor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwangerow

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm in need of some feedback here. This morning I discovered that one of my moors, Tweedle Dee, had ruptured his eye. Needless to say I'm upset. He had some of the biggest eyes going. I have no idea what he could have hurt himself on as I am paranoid about keeping my tanks safe.

Other than watch for signs of infection, I'm thinking the only thing I'll do is move him in the tank with my one-eyed fantail, Jack. It's a smaller tank, but a quieter one. (It would probably only be Dee and Jack in the tank.) With only the two of them in the tank they shouldn't have to deal with other, perhaps more hyper fish.

Anyone have any thoughts or cautions I should be aware of

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Are any of you ornaments or gravel sharp might be worth tanking your ornaments out and running your fingers along all the edges just to check,
my black Moore cuts it's eye on my gravel so I changed the whole gravel to toy marbles( not the painted kind the cats eye kind) and since then it's never happened again
Other then that keeping it with the other one eyes one is a good idea

Sent from my fish phone

Oh no, I don't keep any ornaments and the like in the tank. Ultra fine gravel and silk plants that it. I think it mat have been the lettuce clip, and I'll fix that

I no this might sound silly but have you checked there's no little sharp plastic bits sticky out of the silk plants, I've noticed a lot of them seem to have a little bit on them and they are rather sharp

Just a thought, It could have been the clip though

Sent from my fish phone

Good idea.. I'll look. At this point I'm more worried about Dee healing well.

I was tryin to find some answers online and it said keep fish with eye problems together don't put them with others, and try some medicine the only one I could see mentioned was metafix there isn't much more you can do just keep the water very clean as that will aid in healing quicker

Hope tweedle dee gets better quick it's horrible to see them hurt

Sent from my fish phone

Thanks, I do appreciate your help, I just have to rearrange the tanks. I have a lot of juveniles and I had tank progression planned. Oh we'll, plans are meant to be changed

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

FYI Tweedle Dee has healed nicely and seems happy. He's with Tweedle Dum and One-Eyed Jack (a good looking calico fantail, one eyed of course, who is an awkward swimmer) in a quiet tank. I'll have to upgrade the size of the tank here in a bit, but that's not a problem. He definitely now has little to no vision, so a gentle tap tap on the glass tells him it's dinner time, and I always place the food in the same place. All is well that ends well!

Back
Top Bottom