Disappearing fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cocoa1878

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering if any of you have problems with any of your fish disappearing? I have had a big one and must recently one of my shubunkins disappear from my pond. I have recently bought a net to put over it which takes away from the beauty of my pond. Any suggestions on what I should do? Here are some pictures before the netting I so miss. The last one is with the net..I really hate it, but I don't want my fish being dinner for any predators.

Attachments

• IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    264.4 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_0067.jpg
    IMG_0067.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0098.jpg
    IMG_0098.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_0128.jpg
    IMG_0128.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 176
Heron. They devour fish, I've seen it firsthand, and it's so sad. Have you noticed any lose scales in the water? They lose scales during the struggle with the heron usually so that's a clue.

Natetrix said:
Heron. They devour fish, I've seen it firsthand, and it's so sad. Have you noticed any lose scales in the water? They lose scales during the struggle with the heron usually so that's a clue.

There's really nothing you can do besides the netting. Sorry :( keep a bb gun handy to scare them off if your ever catch them by the pond(doubt you will)

Ye and ive heard the "heron statue theory" only attracts them. So dont go with that idea. Lol but on the other hand they say hang Cds but that would deffinatly interupt the look of your pond. Maybe reflective things or mirrors? Just a thort.

Here is an idea, get yourself one or two of the large hollow plastic owls. And hang/set then near your pond. If they keep blackbirds away, I'm sure they will keep herons away too.

Tetra1990 said:
Here is an idea, get yourself one or two of the large hollow plastic owls. And hang/set then near your pond. If they keep blackbirds away, I'm sure they will keep herons away too.

My girlfriends parents keep a singular Owl statue by their smaller pond. Granted, this is in Ohio, but it keeps larger birds away.

If you have the money, you could turn it into a nice greenhouse-type indoor garden, I used to love visiting a friend's house who had one. Must have been close to 1,000 square feet, with tons of blooming flowers and a large stream-like koi pond that curled through the entire thing.

It wouldn't be that grand, but it would be a fun project.

Chiroptera said:
If you have the money, you could turn it into a nice greenhouse-type indoor garden, I used to love visiting a friend's house who had one. Must have been close to 1,000 square feet, with tons of blooming flowers and a large stream-like koi pond that curled through the entire thing.

Yeah! That's more along the lines of What I meant.

Chiroptera said:

That sounds beautiful!

It won't keep the heron away, but it will protect your fish. If you fill the pond with lots of hiding places, like clay flowerpots, it will give your fish a chance to hide from predators. They're not stupid- if they sense danger and have somewhere to hide, they'll hide! Never lost a fish in my pond, and they have lots of little hidey places.

Back
Top Bottom