Fancy goldfish advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmieBarnett

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 29 gallon tank running with a filter supposed for a 55-75 gallon tank. My tank currently has 6 fancy goldfish, 2 corrys and a pleco. Everyone gets along VERY VERY well and all of my fish are super happy and always playing and eating very well. I keep readig goldfish need bigger tanks but they LOVE the tank they are in I hate to move them. I do have a 55 gal completly empty just cycling in the other room. I could put them in there but 1. I hate to take them out of something they are so happy in and 2. I had a bad experience wih ick a few months ago in that tank (emptied tank, threww all deco away and scrubbed tank since) but I am so afraid my goldfish wont be as happy in there. Any suggestions? My fish range from an inch to around 3 or so inchs. Corrys are tiny at maybe an inch and pleco is two inches.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think the fish will be much happier in the bigger tank. My goldfish really use all the swimming room available to them in their 40b, which has a great footprint, but I'd like to get them a bigger tank in the future. Right now it's probably fine because your fish haven't reached an adult size, but I would still move them to the 55 when it's ready.

About 4-6 months. I acquired them two weeks ago.

About 4-6 months. I acquired them two weeks ago.

I apologize but I am bit confused as you mention in your other posts that you have had them for six months? Were they in a smaller tank than the 29 up until two weeks ago?

Im sorry lol let me explain.
My friend has had the 6 fancys and two corrys in the tank for the past six months. He is moving cross country and couldnt take him with him. He brought me his whole tank, filter, heater all deco and hood about two and a half weeks ago. The pleco was in another tank and he didnt need him ao he tossed him in there. Aftef watching my pleco "creeper" today tryin to eat with my fancys around him, I decided to move him to my 55. It wasnt fair. So in my 29 gallon now are the originals. The 6 fancys and the 2 corrys. In my 55 is a pleco and two tiny red tail sharks. Im sorry for the confusion!

And my pleco is alot larger than I thought! He is sitting at four inches!

Is it a common pleco or a bristlenose pleco?
I'd move the goldies to the 55 soon, they're going to need it, both for space and for lower nitrates between water changes. Also, the red tail sharks are going to become problematic together eventually. They may be tiny now, but eventually you'll have the dominant one chasing to smaller one to death. I've witnessed a severely stunted rainbow shark who was in with a red tail. Without an extra 48" tank, I would recommend getting rid of one of them.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Saw a 6 or 8 inch fantail during the week. The tank was sort of ok but I think if a fish could mope this one was doing it. Was just looking at it, thinking this fish could be doing so much more.

Back
Top Bottom