Fancy goldfish dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bartsmum

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, I'm new to coldwater fish (always had tropical in the past without any issues.)
I have a cycled 55 gal (juwel rio 240) with built in filter, that agitates the surface a lot.
Tank is filled with a load of mangrove root with anubias and java fern grafted on. I left it bare bottomed to make it easier to vacuum the mess, thinking about fancy goldfishes' high bioload.
Parameters checked with liquid test kit (skaken aswell) ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate usually between 5-10ppm so all good, only problem is the pH is 8.2, despite all the wood in there. Tap water is also 8.2, I don't really want to try changing it with chemicals, I was hoping they'd adapt ok after slow acclimatisation.
Temperature is 22.5c (room temp).
I bought two little ranchus at 1 1/2 inches and a spotty multicoloured one that was around 2 1/2 inches, think a kaliaco or ryukin (spelling?).
They seemed to be doing ok so after 2 weeks, I bought a fourth fish a bigger fancy at around 3 1/2 inches. After a couple of weeks a ranchu started floating and all movement slowed right down, after a few days it died, no signs of ich, fungas, fin rot etc. Now the multicoloured fancy goldfish (whatever type it is) is showing the same signs, movement slowed and laying on bottom looking miserable.
Does anybody have any ideas?

Sent from my C6603 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is a (rubbish) photo of my tank

Sent from my C6603 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1451917792679.jpg
    1451917792679.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 71
Back
Top Bottom