Fancy goldfish growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kclskates

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 46 gal bow front with 4 fancy goldfish and one dojo loach.

Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 40.

How fast should they be growing?

My live plant leafs seem to grow algae on them. Is there a reason for that?

These fish can grow a lot in a about 2 years. I know because I have an oranda and he's several inches long.

Depends on the type of fancy and if they were juveniles or stunted adults when you purchased them. Juveniles should be growing on average 1/4-1/2in (or more) a month during their first two years of life. Their growth then slows dramatically as they hit sexual maturity BUT they never stop growing through out their entire lives provided they have ample amounts of healthy water, a nutritious diet and hormone levels in the water are kept very low. Please ask if you have questions!

At first the tank was way over stocked. Water quality was poor as well.

Now, there is 4 fancys in a 46g bow front. Water quality is really good with live plants. My nitrates seem to be around 40-80 on the card reader. It's hard to tell. Ammonia and nitrites are always 0.

Could all that effect there growth? And can the fish heal up the start growing again?

Also how to test for hormone levels? I have never heard of that test for my aquarium

Also how to test for hormone levels? I have never heard of that test for my aquarium

There are no tests available to the public. Change as much water as possible as often as you can feasibly manage. Goldfish breeders typically change 100% of the water daily. While no one expects a hobbiest to follow such a regimen, the more frequently you can do big wcs, the better. :)

Algae on the plant leaves is an indication of too much light - usually this means keeping the lights on for too long.

Floating plants in the tank will help a lot with algae.

Algae on the plant leaves is an indication of too much light - usually this means keeping the lights on for too long.

Floating plants in the tank will help a lot with algae.

+1. Or excess nutrients in the water. Floating plants can provide shade for the plants below and how long of you keep you lights on?

Wow. That is a lot of water Changing. Is there any goldfish breeders in Washington that you know off?

And I keep my lights on for about 12 hours a day. They are two 18" life glows. No timer so the light is random

Off the top of my head, I do not know any breeders there. I would google koi and goldfish clubs in your region and spend some time talking to the members. Kokos Goldfish forum also has state specific lists of clubs. Asking on there or on the Goldfish Keepers forum may turn up a private breeder as well. There are also some well known breeders that sell online, too. :)

If algae is already a problem, I'd go with a photo period of 6-8 hours.

Yeah. That's why I was asking if he gets any direct sunlight. If he had said yes, I would've lowered the amount if time the light are on. 6 hours is a bit too short IMO but 8 hours is good.

Back
Top Bottom