Fancy Goldfish help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyAddict1999

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,this may sound a bit like I'm a noob but I am very experienced with tropical fish and I love them and hope to stick with them for the rest of my life but just out of curiosity could I keep a single fancy goldfish in a 14 gallon with live plants and a strong filter?I don't plan on keeping a goldfish I am simply just wondering as I saw a pretty one in the pet shop and that sparked my interest.Later on in my life I may get a huge tank for a whole bunch of goldfish as I can't find room for them here.

I keep my water parameters clean by doing 25-30% partial water changes once a week or whenever needed.That is how I keep my water for my Tropicals but for the Tropicals I obviously have a heater set at 25 degrees celsius but at the moment it is at 28 degrees celsius to try and fight ich.

Thanks,
Timthegoldfish

14G Freshwater- Guppies,Platies in the future will be planted
5G Freshwater- Future Betta and in the future will be planted

14 gallons is a bit small, but you may be able to do it if you are willing to do huge water changes and possibly get another filter.

Sent from my iPhone

So it's possible I always loved goldfish.What fancy do you think is the nicest and best for a 14 gallon

14 gallons is a bit small, but you may be able to do it if you are willing to do huge water changes and possibly get another filter.

Sent from my iPhone

14 is way too small honestly. A fancy is quite capable of reaching 9"+ and that's simply not enough room with 14g dimensions. At very minimum a 20g and preferably a 30g. As well, contrary to popular belief, they're actually companion fish and do best if kept with another and not singly.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Well I was thinking of getting a fantail an they only get to 6 inches.I am very willing to do large water changes(which I may split up into two smaller water changes) and I don't have room to get a bigger tank.Over here in ireland fish tanks are really expensive and that's all I can afford

Well I was thinking of getting a fantail an they only get to 6 inches.I am very willing to do large water changes(which I may split up into two smaller water changes) and I don't have room to get a bigger tank.Over here in ireland fish tanks are really expensive and that's all I can afford

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+835+2742&pcatid=2742

Splitting large WC's into two smaller ones does not compensate in any way.

Céad míle fáilte.

But could I manage a fantail goldfish?

And live aquaria often exaggerate tank sizes for example 20 gallons for a guppy and 30 gallons for a molly

And live aquaria often exaggerate tank sizes for example 20 gallons for a guppy and 30 gallons for a molly

Is it better to over exaggerate and live stress free or underestimate and potentially deal with sickness, stunting, and premature death ?

I heard of many places saying goldfish can go on a 14 gallon once there fancy

What about a female betta sorority?
As bettas have a huge personality also.

I wouldn't get a single fancy goldfish. Get minimum 40gallon tank and have two. They are great when they interact together. 14gallons is too small for any variety of fancy goldfish. 20gallons minimum for one.

we're gona need a bigger tank (boat).. JAWS ~~~∆~~\o/~~

I politely disagree.
30g ARE recommended for Mollies as they can hit 5". Plus they are active swimmers and you usually end up with babies.

20g for Guppies ? I agree also as the females get good sized and if you have opposite sexes you'll end up with more.

29g is minimum recommended size for 1 Fancy for a variety of reasons.
Room to grow, more water so it will stay cleaner, and room to swim without banging up the fins.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom