fantail goldies and WHAT CAN IT LIVE WITH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mentalpaws

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,
I've been on here before, but i lost my log in info - forgot it - so i had to re-register.

anywhoooos - recently upgraded from 20G to 55G for a single fantail. Can he live peacefully with anything else besides another goldfish or fantail?

He's medium sized about 5 inches total length, mouth about 1/4 inch in diameter, I read white cloud minnows but they are so teensy.

Nothing semi-aggresive, or remotely aggressive- my prized fantail is a lover. Any suggestions? would love some variety and a friend for my little guy :]

thank you!

While you have room in a 55 gallon, the lower temps and the sheer size of goldfish limit you. Cory cats do well in 75 degree water, but they run the risk of being eaten and getting stuck in your goldies mouth. I would be afraid of the WCMM being eaten also. Some snails are an option, but kind of boring if you want swimmy things. One suggestion would be gold barbs, they are good in water about 75 degrees and fast enough to not be eaten, but can be a bit nippy... In a large shoal this *can* be avoided, but not always.

It's a risk adding anything to the tank, it'll either work or it won't/

ok--- so perhaps cherry or gold barbs. that's about it huh?

Another teensy goldie is ok, just thought something a bit smaller an different species to lighten the bio load. I guess it's not good to mix tropical, semi trop, with freshwaters, either right?

Semi tropical fish are ok, because they can handle (and are supposed to be kept in) waters of about 75 degrees.

The safest bet would be another goldfish or two, but cherry or gold barbs may work.

I would personally do some dojo loaches they do great in cool water tanks with Goldie's. they do best at temps of 68-70 degrees. I would add 1 more fantail and 4-5 dojos.

Dojo loaches are commonly kept with Goldies and are actually one of the best choices to be kept with them. I wouldn't keep any type of barb with a fancy goldie as first the GF needs to be fed sinking pellets because if you feed them flake food from the surface they gulp too much air which can cause swim bladder issues which fancy goldfish are already prone too. Also barbs could easily out compete a slower moving fancy GF.

Dojo loaches are commonly kept with Goldies and are actually one of the best choices to be kept with them. I wouldn't keep any type of barb with a fancy goldie as first the GF needs to be fed sinking pellets because if you feed them flake food from the surface they gulp too much air which can cause swim bladder issues which fancy goldfish are already prone too. Also barbs could easily out compete a slower moving fancy GF.

Exactly I would not do barbs either. The dojo is the way to go.

ok so dojo loaches, are those the long skinny ones that like to scavenge on the bottom? they have whiskers I beleive?

i went to PetCo and looked at gold/cherry barbs today, i'm positive my fantail would eat them in 2 seconds!

thanks everyone.

ok so dojo loaches, are those the long skinny ones that like to scavenge on the bottom? they have whiskers I beleive?

i went to PetCo and looked at gold/cherry barbs today, i'm positive my fantail would eat them in 2 seconds!

thanks everyone.

Yes those would be dojos really long real skinny. They are fast to and make the perfect goldfish companion. Feed them sinking catfish shrimp pellets I reccomend the omega brand, and blood worms and brine shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom