Fantail in goldfish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Candy Ice

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, we got our son a new tank and put our bitty goldfish in it. Well, the poor thing died today. So I went and bought a few things to test and treat the water with. For example, it's been treated with aqua safe dechlorinater and conditioner, and tonight I treated it for Ich and added a pH tablet to make sure everything is good. Tests came out just fine about a half hour after treatment. I then added the 3 new fantail that I bought about 10 minutes after testing. Are there any chances that the fish will die anytime soon? And what should I do to make sure they don't die ( other than clean the tank weekly, as I already do that) It's a 10 gallon tank, It has a 2-10 filter (I think, this is my first fish tank) and a little rock piece that's connected to a hose and air pump that makes a lot of bubbles. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429160473.356944.jpg first set up. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429160518.940505.jpg tank as it is now

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tank has a bluish tint because of Ich treatment

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429189593.458731.jpg

Hello!

Goldfish get much bigger than many people realize. The "goldfish in a bowl" is a very common misconception and will eventually end disastrously.

The general rule for goldfish is no less than 30 gallon tank for 1. For each additional goldfish add 10 gallons. You are looking at a 50 gallon tank. Now, that's a ton of space for just 3 fish right? Correct, but! Goldfish are messy eaters and have a high bioload due to this and poop. A 50 would be recommended so your bioload is not too high and it will sustain water quality.

If the upgrade is not possible, I would look at returning them. You can throw a heater on the tank and go tropical. There is PLENTY of tropical options that will work in a 10 gallon tank. Here's just a few:
Celestial Pearl Danios
Shrimp
Pair of dwarf crayfish
Badis(not really recommended for beginners though)
Threadfin Rainbowfish
Bettas
Neon tetras
Rasboras
Pygmy corydoras

And so on :)

All of those fish will work fine in a 10g without overloading your bioload.

Have you read up on how to cycle the tank? Tanks go through "The Nitrogen Cycle" this essentially processes waste from fish/inverts and converts it into a non toxic form called: Nitrate. Nitrate is then removed via your weekly water changes.
This chart will help give a visual:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429190104.861327.jpg

If you have any other questions or need help cycling the tank please feel free to ask! :) we are glad to have you here with us.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

You should get a heater and go tropical there are plenty of very nice looking fish. I recommend you get 3 or 4 neon tetras

John,
Trust me I am not insane

All of the above is good advice, I would do a 50 minimum, even though fantails do not grow as large as the single tailed varieties. Platies are a great fish if you want a fish with goldfish coloration and you could do a group in a ten gallon IMO.

Okay. I had planned on giving them away when we moved in a few months. Probably going to switch to warm water when we do get settled in to our new house. But quick question, just did about a 50% water change and it's still really cloudy. Will that clear up the longer my filter runs? And about how long does that take. Like I said before, it's my very first tank, and any help is appreciated

Thank you! I walked to the store and when I got home I checked on them, the water is much clearer than it was earlier. I appreciate the help :)

mine started about the size of a dime and never stop growing
there bigger now than this pict ones 4 inch and others 6 inch
now ones almost 10 inch others about 8 inch
yours will out grow that tank rather fast just a fyi you probably got like 9 months so be aware
img_3205535_0_74580cd6c6c58dc9e623525c6f6a6202.jpg

these guys are in a 40g but soon will be transferred into a outside pond
maybe after this snow goes away

Two of my fantails are miniature and the other is normal size. Does that make any difference?

Two of my fantails are miniature and the other is normal size. Does that make any difference?

Basically, if they are not rehomed in a couple months you can stunt their growth. Their insides will keep growing but their outside won't.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

They will be re homed in a few months. We are moving anywhere between August and October. The small ones are only about an inch long, and the bigger one about an inch and a half

Quick Statistics - Miniature Fantail
Family: Cyprinidae
Scientific Name: Carassius auratus
Environment: Freshwater fish
Temperature: 55° - 78°F
Type: Twin Tail
Diet: Omnivore
Food: Pellets, flakes, live food, veggies and fruit
Adult Size: 6" or more (inches)
Lifespan: 10-15 years or more
Care Level: Easy
Temperament: Friendly and social
Tank size: 30+

This should help answer your question

Never trust the word miniature it can be very misleading

They will be re homed in a few months. We are moving anywhere between August and October. The small ones are only about an inch long, and the bigger one about an inch and a half

They should be ok until you move, just keep an eye on the water quality! Goldfish produce a lot of waste.

Yeah. I know I'll have to keep an eye on them. They seem pretty content with their little home for now. Not even all that scared of my son when he's checking them out :) I make sure to check on them 3-4 times a day. Will clean their tank probably twice a week :)

Back
Top Bottom