Filter Aeration Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AskCharlie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I recently started up a new project indoor pond that I am keeping really low scale till I know I am doing everything correctly. I have raised fish for years, but have always done the same thing time and time again so I have no way of answering my own question.

I have a 30 gallon pool set up as an indoor pond in one of my spare rooms, and I built my own filtration system using a lot of wonderful tips and tricks over the internet. Having tested all of my levels to make sure they are accurate, which they are ever since cycle happened.

My question today is; If I have placed an aeration stone in my homemade filter, and I also allow the filter to pour back into the pond directly. Is there any need for me to have another aeration stone in the pond itself?

I have the filter running over rocks and breaking the surface of the water as within an inch or so as it enters back into the pond. this was done to make sure there wasn't a ton of noise kicking back into the room. I placed an aeration stone in the bottom of the filter to help with bacteria growth.

It got me wondering however, with the water running back into the pond making air bubbles, plus the aeration stone in the filter, would I really need to add a second stone inside the pond itself.

Your Pond

Hello Ask...

Filtration is pretty simple. You need a filter that will turn over a minimum of 4 times the volume of the tank in an hour. For a 30 gallon pond or tank, a filter system with a gph (gallon per hour) rating of 120 is sufficient. This will allow enough oxygen to be mixed with the tank water and carbon dioxide to escape.

You'll still need to perform large, regular water changes to maintain healthy water conditions for any fish or plants you have.

B

I have an outside pond and it doesn't need an aeration machine/stone at all. The waterfall is the main source of aeration in a pond and an aerator really is only necessary when the waterfall is not working or the waterfall has very little splash. So to answer your question: No, you should not need a second air stone in the pond itself. Can I see a pic of the waterfall and where it falls into the water?

Hello Ask...

Filtration is pretty simple. You need a filter that will turn over a minimum of 4 times the volume of the tank in an hour. For a 30 gallon pond or tank, a filter system with a gph (gallon per hour) rating of 120 is sufficient. This will allow enough oxygen to be mixed with the tank water and carbon dioxide to escape.

You'll still need to perform large, regular water changes to maintain healthy water conditions for any fish or plants you have.

B

Does that 4x rule apply to ponds only? You don't need to do water changes on ponds. Cleaning the canister filter ( for me ) is technically the water change. I lose prob 1/4 of the water in the pond:

Back
Top Bottom