Filtering a 100 gallon pond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish wrangler

Aquarium Advice Addict
We have 2 ducks, a ~100 gallon kiddie pool, but nothing to filter the pool. I need a cheap filter for this pool, I was thinking a down and dirty powerhead with a filterfloss filter.
Budget is $75

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yup and they are messy suckers! Pool looks like a tank when sand isn't washed before being added!

My sister wanted ducks so my dad bought 2 White Pekin ducklings when he got 6 new Rhode Island Red chicks.
I'm concerned about the ammonia levels in the pool because of all the junk and poop in it, they have a hanging waterer but hardly ever use it. Just drink outa the pool.

Would a maxi jet pro 400 work?

5 gallon bucket diy filter. If you have a pump you can filter it for about $20. Less if you have the pvc.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

5 gallon bucket diy filter. If you have a pump you can filter it for about $20. Less if you have the pvc.

Don't have a pump or enough pvc. The maxi jet 600 is $23 on amazon so i might go with that

Don't have a pump or enough pvc. The maxi jet 600 is $23 on amazon so i might go with that

You could still stay under $75 with a $2 bucket, sponges, and some fittings, pipe, vinyl tubing, and a cheap pump.

Not sure I want to put my money into a single purpose thing. I can use the powerhead in my tank if I wanted to, but the pond filter not so much. Plus the area the ducks are in is nice, and I want to keep it that way

She is but I have to get the materials to build anything. A powerhead will be much less of an eye sore that a 5 gal bucket imo

Starting to plan out a bucket filter. Decided there are more uses for a pump than a power head, and the pool is almost 150 gallons which is alot more than I thought it was.

I was thinking of having the pump after the bucket so the pump doesn't have dirty water running through it.

Media-pot scrubbers then bio balls then filter floss

The water will enter the bucket near the bottom, and flow up towards the top where the output would take it to the pump. Pump output goes straight to the pool.

This plan should work right??

I found a 1200 gal/hour pump for $70 that I plan to use. My dad also threw out the idea of using a swirl filter with an internal pump which would be alot cheaper, or he could upgrade our external irrigation pump and I would use the old one.

If there is no fish or anything living in the water, I wouldn't waste the money on biomedia. Mechanical filtration will be enough. 1200gph on 100 gallons of water really isn't that much.

Jesse

On a Menards trip for raised bed lumber my dad got a 700 gph pump, waterfall filter, hose, and lava rock. Guess that puts an end to this project.

The pool is closer to 150 gallons

Back
Top Bottom